Openlightspeed vs NGIX_Apache

ericosman

Verified User
Hey all,

This question has probably been asked a million times, but i'm looking into the question "should i go from NGIX_Apache to OpenLightSpeed?".
What me server is running on (contabo VPS):

8 cores30 GB400 GB (100% NVMe)

90% of the websites that i'm running are based on Wordpress. What i read on the OLS site is of course that it is way faster than NGIX And Apache, but do i keep the ability to load .htaccess files ? (i remember that that would give some issues sometimes, or something with updating the .htaccess).

Most website's respond fast enough, but if they can become more fast... why not? :)

I have played with OLS but didn't had much speed gain than NGINX+APACHE combination
OLS does not read .htaccess file when changes are made ELS does (paid version), however you can trick it by adding an cronjob that reload OLS each 3 minutes or so to achieve that.
Nice thing is that OLS support HTTP/3 while NGINX and APACHE dont

Just install it trough Custombuild and see it for your self, you can go easily back to NGINX+APACHE combination

Last edited:
Hello,

What i read on the OLS site is of course that it is way faster than NGIX And Apache

It would be funny if they wrote the opposite.

There is a trick to make load htaccess changes with cron. A solution can be found on the forums. The OLS has a basic support of .htaccess file, so you will need to clean it to a minimal to make your sites working under OLS.

Back