OWASP ModSecurity Core Rule Set version 3.3.4

BillyS

Verified User
This is the OWASP ModSecurity Core Rule Set version 3.3.4.

Important Notice: From CRS 3.2.2, 3.3.3 and up, ModSecurity 2.9.6 or 3.0.8 (or versions with backported patches) are required due to the addition of new protections. We recommend upgrading your ModSecurity as soon as possible. If your ModSecurity is too old, your webserver will refuse to start with an Unknown variable: &MULTIPART_PART_HEADERS error. If you are in trouble, you can temporarily delete file rules/REQUEST-922-MULTIPART-ATTACK.conf as a workaround and get your server up, however, you will be missing some protections. Therefore we recommend to upgrade ModSecurity before deploying this release.

Last edited:
I am confused when I look at the Custom Build options, I see
Build LibModSecurityInstall/update LibModSecurity (ModSecurity 3.0).Version 3.0.8.

But when I try to run it, I get
  • LibModSecurity connector is only available for nginx and apache right now.
I am running openlitespeed and it looks like the connector is 3.0.5

"modsecurity": "ModSecurity v3.0.5 (Linux)",

Last edited:
LibModSecurity connector is only available for nginx and apache right now.
I see a similar post on this issue in the past here:

@smtalk Should I be asking this question on the openlitespeed forum? Do we need them to issue an update?

I see a similar post on this issue in the past here:

@smtalk Should I be asking this question on the openlitespeed forum? Do we need them to issue an update?
Openlitespeed already support for libmodsecurity , and for V.3.0.5 has been added since OLS 1.7.14 but not available if install via custombuild

IMG_20221007_192925.jpg

Openlitespeed already support for libmodsecurity , and for V.3.0.5 has been added since OLS 1.7.14
Gotcha - so that means we cannot install the new OWASP rules until OLS includs libmodsecurity V3.05

@BillyS @Dettol @IXPLANET
I submitted a mod_security update request on openlitespeed's github page:

It has just been resolved and the version of mod_security in the third-party.git repository has been updated.
Currently it is necessary to manually compile openlitespeed from sources or wait for a newer version of openlitespeed, which should have an updated, pre-build plugin included.

Thanks @kam821 for following up on this one. I tried to create an account on OpenLiteSpeed's forum, but that's broken. I did ask a question on LiteSpeed's forum on Saturday, but no response.

Back