Password change

daveyw

Verified User
Hello,

We have some users if they click on "Password" button and fill in this form the password doesn't change.

It says "Changed", but they can still login with the old login information, and the new login isn't working. It seems that this is only with a few accounts, not with the other accounts.

Does someone know what the problem could be?
We have checked everything and can't find a error in the logs.

Check the permissions and ownership of the files (and even complete paths) of the password files for passwords that aren't changed, against those on a working server.

Jeff

I've checked the things, and don't see any changes. I got this problem only at 3 accounts, others working perfectly.

I've got no further ideas; perhaps someone else will respond.

Jeff

Are the accounts on their own I.P's? The password files that are used are in the users directory in the directadmin path...

The passwords for DirectAdmin are stored in /etc/shadow

The passwords for DirectAdmin are stored in /etc/shadow
Well, the passwords for ProFTP are stored in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/[user]/ftp.passwd for dedicated IP's (thats how my systems are set up)... but seeing as its a shared IP, it uses the /etc/proftpd.passwd....

Do the logs say anything daveyw? and is it the main login password they're changing?

I'm searching and I found this when I'm trying to change password 'password' button.
Error changing ftp password for XXXX: That user doesn't exist<br>
Anyways the user 'XXXX' exists, its listed in the passwd files, directory exists.

Hello,

Which OS version?
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=318

The password change command used by DA varies per OS.
FreeBSD: chpass -p 'cryptedpass' username
Debian: echo 'username:cryptedpass' | chpasswd
CentOS: passwd --stdin username (and DA sends the passwd to stdin)

Try running one of these password commands for the OS you're using. You don't have to use the "fancy" crypted method we use (try if you need to though).. but lookup the man pages for a basic usage of the command.

Somtimes, I've seen the error "token manipulation error" from these command, which means there is a syntax error in the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. If you don't have any entries in your /etc/shadow for the user in question, then you'd run "pwconv" (in some fashion) to fill up the shadow file.

John

As listed in one of my posts: CentOS 5.5 x86_64
~# passwd --stdin XXXX
Changing password for user XXXX.
testpass123
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
I dont receive any errors.

Now in DA when I do 'change passwords' i'm getting: That user does not exist. But i'm 100% sure that user exists. Also with 'finger' i'm getting the user info.

Last edited:
Hello,

DA is probably checking the DA files to see if the User exists, not the /etc/passwd file.

To do that, it checks the user.conf file for that user, and tries to read the usertype variable. If any of the user files cannot be read in (user.conf, user.usage, domains.list), or the usertype variable is missing, you'll get that error.

If needed:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./fix_da_user.sh [b]username[/b] user [b]domain.com[/b]
John

I guess I found the issue;

Everything in the user.conf file is okay, but I was missing the accounts in /etc/proftpd.passwd. So i've copied them from /etc/shadow and modified them a little bit.

Now I tried to reset password and its working.

Thank for helping everyone :)

Back