Password Problem

hostanet

Verified User
I have installed Direct Admin three different times on a clean server and each install went very well however one problem common to all three installs was the installer it did not create the "admin" password correctly in the setup.txt file. Before I closed my SSH connection I edited the setup.txt file to reflect the correct password to match my server. Then I was able to log in using my server password.
Anyone else have this problem?

Hello,

During "./directadmin i" , if the user exists, the password *should*be changed using:
Code:
/usr/bin/chpass -p <cryptedpass> username
Other than that, I'm not too sure.

John

Lets say I enter the admin password (admin1234) during Direct Admin install. Should it show up in the setup.txt file as "admin1234"? It shows up as something like this - "J2kL3GzHq" which I assume is encripted but I can't SSH back into my server using "admin1234" unless I edit the setup.txt file to read exactly "admin1234". I can however SSH into my server using "J2kL3GzHq" as read from the setup.txt file.

Hello,

the value in the setup.txt is the exact password used, there is no encryption at all. The admin password is a randomly generated string, which can be changed to whatever you want before you run the install.sh portion of the install.

John

Back