Paths not working anymore after packages update

freshmint

Verified User
Hello,

I just did a "portupgrade -a" and now it looks like the paths are not working anymore. My cron jobs are sending me emails with problems regarding non-existant binaries. Well, just for example, see here:

root@angelina [/etc]# /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
(after some minutes)
perl: not found
root@angelina [/etc]# perl -v
perl: Command not found.

I'm sure this was working before.

It's not only perl, but I saw perl was one of the packages updated with portupgrade so I'm also using it as an example.

How can i get it working as before? It's causing me problems 'cause, for instance, after this damn portupgrade for some odd reason when DA run webalizer (on crontab), it kills httpd and it's not possible to restart it again thru DA, only by SSH. WTF?

Last edited:
you have no /usr/bin/perl for example ?

and if you upgrade perl, you've re-built
everything which uses perl, to use your
latest version - that'd mean rebuilding
apache (really for mod_perl), and
what about spamassassin, not to mention
any others - in some cases a re-install
rather than a re-build etc..

maybe try to actually find a perl
executable first:

find / -name perl

then check any DA specific packages
to see whether the wrong version is looked
for ?

type set you should see a path variable listing a bunch of dir's.

it looks like either your login.conf db is corrupt and the path is lost or your login profile wipe's the path variable.

If you actually ran portupgrade -af you have done an evil thing to yourself. The -f flag will allow portupgrade to ignore the HELD status on bsdpan packages in the pkgtools.conf file.

This sux because for some reason bsdpan stuff will suddenly be linked as the primary package over an installed port. It messes up everything. Like mod_perl is suddenly Perl...etc..

Now, I know this vague but I don't even want to remember what I went through to put it all back together :eek:

it will also recompile ports that dont even need upgrading -af is a crazy switch to use.

Back