Problem with ssl

Mattpl

Verified User
Hi today i Have problem with ssl
file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
I was trying to update ca-cert and add into php.ini path to
openssl.cafile=/usr/lib/ssl/cert.pem
and still have problem

Hello,

You need to update the ca-certificates package.

I don't think he's using Letsencrypt because in that case he has nothing to do with editting a php.ini or ca-cert file anyway.

So it's best to say first which certificate you are trying to install @Mattpl and in which way.

@Richard G
I'm using let encrypt free cert's and also i have do apt-get update ca-certificates and certs are up to date and still have this problem. My cert was create 25.08.2021 (free ssl from letsencrypt) and site was working ok for all these days, today at 16.05 my website go down and in logs I see error
file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed ath ./xx/xxx/news-widget.php at line 62

When I have comment in php file function which is using this file_get_contents (from https url) website is working

You need to update the ca-certificates package.

Thank you very much. It just solved my problem I found today.

After trying to update openssl 1.1 on CentOS 7 without success (because openssl on CentOS 7 will always be 1.0.2k). So I tried update ca-certificates and got the latest CA certificates updated successfully.

so I tried update ca-certificates and got the latest CA certificates updated successfully.
Yep, Centos 7 and 8 have the new certificates which can be updated via yum.

@Mattpl maybe try again with apt-get if Debian has new certificates too?
Check if you get a new LE certificate if the issue is gone after that.

Back