Problems with siteZen

MaxPower

Verified User
Well I just purchased their software and had it working for a week.

I updated my DirectAdmin control panel and it totally busted the program.

Customer support just sent me in circles...

First I'm not suppose to have an account setup on my server for the hostname ?? server1.yourdomain.com

>> I assume you created a da hosting account using the subdomain domain
>> server1.bcservers.net. You can't do that because it makes your server
>> domain point to a hosting account and therefore serves up any urls
>> using that domain using the user associated to that hosting account
>> rather than the unprivileged nobody account that siteZen is configured
>> to run under. So please remove that subdomain (server1) and make sure
>> you can login as zenadmin using the afore mentioned URL. I think you
>> will be find on the DA login as it is now getting to the point of
>> going to the login URL.
>>
>> Let me know how it works out. We are here to help.

Then I am not suppose to remove the enteries from the named.conf :confused:

Yes I see that now. When you enter the hostname in the browser you
now get a 404 error because you removed all entries from
/etc/named.conf. That won't work.

To use siteZen you have to have the hostname setup with a DNS entry
but without a DA hosting account referring to that domain. You need
the DNS A record for the hostname but you don't want to have a hosting
account on it because DA will add an additional VirtualHost entry to
the http.conf with a user directive in it. Web hosting servers are
almost always setup that way by default and this is the only
configuration in which you can use siteZen DA login features.

Can anyone here offer any assistance that makes sense?

No of the above configuration work, with or without the domain. I have tried everything, and siteZen does not work.

removed server1.bcservers.net - then tried it. siteZen didn't work.
removed bcservers.net - tried it, siteZen didn't work
removed enteries on named.conf related to bcservers.net - tried it, siteZen didn't work

Now added domain bcservers.net back. :confused:

Last edited:
For the benefit of anyone who can explain things clearer ...

1) siteZen uses the hostname as part of it's internal URLs so your hostname must resolve on the public internet and so needs a DNS A record

2) You must NOT create a hosting account with DA which uses the hostname as the domain name. Doing so will cause any programs that have the hostname as part of the URL (siteZen) to be run under the user associated with that hosting account rather than the underprivileged 'nobody' id. This mismatch of uid will be picked up by suexec and generate a 500 Server Error.

Most servers are configured by default this way so the only caution is to NOT create a DA hosting account using the server name as the domain name.

[2009-11-29 15:42:45]: uid: (501/admin) gid: (501/admin) cmd: zendst
[2009-11-29 15:42:45]: target uid/gid (501/501) mismatch with directory (0/0) or program (0/0)

Comes up as a blank page.

You must have something trying to run as root. :)

[2009-11-29 15:42:45]: uid: (501/admin) gid: (501/admin) cmd: zendst
[2009-11-29 15:42:45]: target uid/gid (501/501) mismatch with directory (0/0) or program (0/0)

Comes up as a blank page.

This is what I was talking about in terms of the mismatch. The blank page is actually an Internal Server Error. You have to remove the Direct Admin hosting account that refers to your server name. You still need the DNS records for your hostname but NOT the DA hosting account.

Changing the ownership of the directory is not the best way to fix the problem. It forces siteZen to run as a privileged user which is less secure. Under the rare circumstances where this solution is appropriate only the executable privilege should be changed - not the entire directory.

This article has more information on the issue.

http://ticket.sitemagix.com/support/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=11

Glad you got it working! Having the hostname improperly configured in httpd.conf is the other reason mentioned in the knowledgebase article I posted. If apache does not match the hostname then all URLs using the hostname it will take the first VirtualHost it finds (admin in this case) and attempt to run scripts under the user associated with that VirtualHost. It can't, of course, because suexec detects the mismatch and you get the internal server error.

The error you are having now is because the branding field for the control panel footer is filled out with text rather than the URL of HTML to be inserted in the control panel. siteZen allows you to customize the control panel the user sees when logging in with HTML,

Date: 2011-04-06 03:52:17
Name: Mary Wior

Hi,

I'll be happy to reinstall SiteZen for you. However, I need the root password to mysql to do so. I frequently find it in a .my.cnf file in ~root, but that file is not there here:

[root@server1 ~]# cat .my.cnf
cat: .my.cnf: No such file or directory

[root@server1 ~]# mysql
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Please update us with the mysql root password and we'll be happy to get this reinstall rolling.

Thank you for your cooperation,

SZ_Mary
SiteZen Support
support.sitezen.com

Now it's like pulling teeth to actualy get them to unintall/reinstall the script as promissed... Dam'it!!

MySQL da_admin password is located in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf.

I will say this about SiteZen... once installed this is about the BEST Website Builder and WYSIWYG.

But their customer service and support leave much to be desired.

Last edited:
Thats because...

Cpanel has bought out site zen, at this point they are supporting all panels as before.... but you know soon they will drop all but their own.

Cpanel has bought out site zen, at this point they are supporting all panels as before.... but you know soon they will drop all but their own.

Interesting, because I was thinking of selling my license to sitezen and directadmin and move to cpanel..

Just thinking about it... not making the plunge just yet. :rolleyes:

Now that I see the level of support I would get from cpanel.. maybe not.

Last edited:
The error you are having now is because the branding field for the control panel footer is filled out with text rather than the URL of HTML to be inserted in the control panel!!!

Back