ProFTPD mod_tls

ju5t

Verified User
Right, not the first and likely not the last question about this subject either. I want to set up SSL on a server but for some reason it does not seem to work out if I use port 21.

My client is FlashFXP using Explicit SSL (Auth TLS), but changing clients results in the same problem. I get the following in my client.

Code:
[R] 220 ProFTPD 1.3.3e Server ready.
[R] AUTH TLS
[R] 234 AUTH TLS successful
[R] Connected. Negotiating TLSv1 session

The connection times out. At the same time the following messages appear in my tls log file.

Code:
Jul 14 13:23:11 mod_tls/2.4.2[20014]: TLS/TLS-C requested, starting TLS handshake
Jul 14 13:23:51 mod_tls/2.4.2[20014]: unable to accept TLS connection: received EOF that violates protocol
Jul 14 13:23:51 mod_tls/2.4.2[20014]: TLS/TLS-C negotiation failed on control channel

If I change the port to 990 it does work. The certificate will load up fine. But that is no solution as it should be working over port 21 as well. I'm not completely sure if this is a problem on ProFTPD's or FlashFXP's end. But perhaps someone has seen it before and could point me in the right direction.

I've tried Transmit on MacOS but that seems to fail too. The only client I have working now is Cyberduck on MacOS. Aside from that I can't force our clients to start using that, something is going wrong by default on most clients.

What kind of settings should I be looking for?

Why? I have been through the debugging already and nothing is wrong with ProFTPD. If there was, how would other FTP clients not have the same issue?

I am just looking for experiences from other users using ProFTPD and certain clients to connect over ssl.

Back