PuTTY and RedHat 9

CCSI

Verified User
General Linux question:

I use PuTTY to SSH into my RH9/DA server. (Win XP Pro workstation)
I have also used my RH9 workstation terminal and SSH

With both situations, the keyboard/screen response seems quite slow. Durring the same session, it can, at times, work well, but it is very inconsistant.

If you are like me... look up a fix on this forum... try it.... then go back to looking at the forum... come back to the same session to try something else... and then it is non responsive... so you start a new session.

Starting the VNCServer also works, but it very sluggish as well.

Any help you can provide is appriciated.

Thanks

David

I use both RH9, 7.2 and 7.3. They are equally as fast as each other when using putty to connect and ssh, response is also usually instant.

All i can suggest is remove your current putty and download it again, http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Im thinking it could possibly be seetings in putty have been chnaged somehow, and that oculd be the fix.

Either way, it's worth a try :)

Chris

Chris,

I did just that... and have the same issue... just sluggish as can be.

Almost so that it is better to drive in to the office, and work from the server. (But not quite)

It shouldn't be a bandwidth issue either... (Just thought I would through that in there as well)

I don't think it is PuTTY because I have the same issues using my other workstation that is RH9 (using the terminal and SSH command).

I even went to the office.... loaded PuTTY on a Win XP Pro computer that is on the same network/subnet as the web server.

Same results.

Tried through a RH9 workstation at the office (same network/subnet as the web server) using the terminal and SSH command.

Same results

This RH/DA server is a recently new install. Is it possible that the encryption may be causing the delay, or is there a configuration file that I am unaware of that may be causing this issue?

Any additional help is appreciated.

David

I guess it depends on where you have to connect to. If you have to go acrros the pacific (US/Europe) then I guess you will have some delay, but that's just normal I believe.

Im the UK and can connect to RH9 in EV1 as i said above, instantly.

All i can think is you have a weird openssh setup, you may want to download some fresh openssh rpms from redhat and try that :)

Chris

Back