Question about DA box to DA box backup

ProWebUK said:
So you have a customer with a dedicated server from you thats only hosting 2 sites? are they millionaires or something
We've got clients with dedicated servers hosting only one site. And at today's prices for colocated and dedicated rental servers that's not always such a bad idea even for small clients, if they need some "specialty" items on their site. Or the extra security.

Jeff

I disagree with that,

hosts are allowed NOT to backup customers data its not forced and i have seen many good hosts i have seen dont actually provide it.

"seriously" being in the business can, and will work without backups.

also,

most people can't afford to have a second box sitting just for backup purposes.

the word "just" meaning its only being used for backups. The cost of webhosting thse days is considerbaly lower than what it was years ago.

To have a full backup server for every server you have, you would need to be making a minum of 200% of the servers cost per month to pay for both servers, when you add support costs and setup costs to that you could be looking at 300%+ of 1 servers value to do this. selling a celeron 1.3 with 256MB RAM with a spare backup server is a little low for 300% of the value of 1 server? wouldn't you agree with that? If every host did that it would be fair enough unfortunately, people these days tend to share their hosting requirements between the whole service qulaity (uptime, support response times, how friendly are support, server specifications).

######################################

> We've got clients with dedicated servers hosting only one site. And at today's prices for colocated and dedicated rental servers that's not always such a bad idea even for small clients, if they need some "specialty" items on their site. Or the extra security.

Agreed, although, specialities. Often a designer would not require quite a dedicated server for 2 websites if you see what im saying :)

Chris

Back