Question about DNS....

hostanet

Verified User
I was reviewing the demo and noticed that there is a DNS Menu in both the Admin and User panel and not in the Reseller panel.
Is there a way to remove it from the End User panel? Should the User have the ability to modify this info?
Should there not be a DNS Menu in the Reseller Panel?
Just Curious.....

Admins have a DNS menu so they can control the DNS settings of any site on the server (Admins like being able to do everything).

Resellers are also Users, so Resellers can edit their DNS settings through the User Panel. That's why a DNS panel in the Reseller menu isn't needed.

To answer your last question, you can disable the DNS feature for Users. Many hosts don't want their customers playing with DNS settings, so we made it an option rather than an automatic feature. DNS access is set in the user packages (Reseller Panel).

Mark

another clever idea that i have never seen on any other well known control panel :) how many more hidden secrets are there for us to find :cool:

Chris

To be honest with you, I've implemented so many "hidden secrets" that I've forgotten about most of them. :) Whenever I implemented a feature, I took quite a bit of time to look at it from all angles and always asked myself, "What else should this/can this do?", or, "Wouldn't it be neat if..." ..etc,etc... sometimes the answers were within the scope of the feature, sometimes not.

John

Does that mean we can expect a lot more than whats in the feature list :p

Chris

In a sense... what I mean is, for example vacation messages: I've added the ability to set the start date so directadmin will start sending out the message at that time, and to also send a cc to someone else... that's not "hidden" but it's all just clumped under the feature "vacation message".

There are many little things that you don't see, like the task queue. The feature that makes sure things are running will first check to make sure that everything is running, if it isn't is tries to start it, if that doesn't work, it tries to restart it... if THAT doesn't work, it will email all of the admins. The thoroughness of it is what I mean by "hidden features".

John

DirectAdmin Support said:

There are many little things that you don't see, like the task queue. The feature that makes sure things are running will first check to make sure that everything is running, if it isn't is tries to start it, if that doesn't work, it tries to restart it... if THAT doesn't work, it will email all of the admins. The thoroughness of it is what I mean by "hidden features".

Firstly, i'd just like to point out, i know its not "hidden" but its not in your feature lists unless im reading the wrong things :p it just sounds better everytime you answer a question :)

This task queue script sounds amazing also :)

Regards
Chris

Back