quotaoff?

bjseiler

Verified User
Never seen this one before. Cron emailed it to me today.

Subject: Cron <root@www5> /usr/sbin/quotaoff -a; /sbin/quotacheck -aug; /usr/sbin/quotaon -a;

quotaoff: /: Operation not supported
quotaoff: /: Operation not supported
quotaon: using //quota.group on
quotaon: /: Operation not supported
quotaon: using //quota.user on
quotaon: /: Operation not supported

Hello,

That means quotas arn't compiled into the kernel. This is happening on our development box as well, nothing much to be concerned about. The quotacheck command is run daily regardless so that it updates the disk usage for each user. You could (in theory) remove the quotaoff and quotaon portion of that cron job.

/etc/crontab

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

That means quotas arn't compiled into the kernel. This is happening on our development box as well, nothing much to be concerned about. The quotacheck command is run daily regardless so that it updates the disk usage for each user. You could (in theory) remove the quotaoff and quotaon portion of that cron job.

/etc/crontab

John

quotas not being compiled into kernel means that users will be allowed to use as many space they want?

It does mean that the user's space could be exceeded during the day, but ...

The DA quota system will report nightly, and suspend accounts if set to do so.

I first asked myself this question:

"Should I use quotas to stop people from using more space than they've contracted for, or run a script every night to see how much they've used and charge them for any overages?"

back in late 1994, when I started hosting websites.

I made the decision to let them use as much as they want, and then charge them for it.

I've stuck with that decision, and it works well for me.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back