random shared IPs

apogee

Verified User
I was pleased to see that there is a new DA function which we at CP have always missed --> https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2570

In the meantime I was able to answer some questions by trying them out for myself, I leave the old questions standing if someone has the same questions. My own answer is in green under the corresponding question.

I have some questions, though:

Where do I define these IP's in DA? IP Manager? /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip.list?
Set in IP Manager, make sure that the IP is also in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/ip.list

Are they automatically bound to the NIC/Bond when the machine starts?

Are these IP's monitored whether they are still bound (& active)?

Is there somewhere an overview of which account uses which IP? IP Manager?
Reseller/List users shows users IP(s) - Reseller/IP Management only show the nr of users

I assume that both apache and exim accounts are bound to this IP, correct?

Is the DA deamon running on all IP's or is it reachable on all IP's on port 2222?
Yep, redirects to the hostname

Can the IP in DA also be changed?

If the IP is changed, can the customer site be reached simultaneously on the new and old IP (for a certain period of time - the DNS must first be updated)?

If an IP is captured by an RBL, can the exim sender IP be easily adjusted for all affected accounts (with the same IP)?

Where in directadmin.conf can I set ip = shared_random?

What I've found out:
If use of "random shared IP" for new account on creation reports "Cannot Create Account No shared IPs found".... then the problem is that the IP config must be edited from:

Code:
[root@da-dev1 conf]# cat /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ips/1.2.3.251
gateway=
netmask=255.255.255.128
ns=
reseller=admin
status=free
value=

to:
Code:
gateway=
netmask=255.255.255.128
ns=
reseller=
status=shared
value=

Thanks for this feature, unfortunately I don't find any documentary on it, so my questions are, I think this will interest others as well....

Last edited:
Back