RBL blocks in rspamd rather than ESP

sahostking

Verified User
I am noticing the docs state that its best to edit /etc/exim.strings.conf.custom and add rbls like spamhaus and cbl.abuse in there.

However I am wondering if we can disable that and rather have it all go through rspamd itself as I see it has symbols for that and scores.

So what is the reason we have it in both places? and can I just disable it via exim by running:

echo "EASY_HIGH_SCORE_DROP==1000" >> /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.conf.custom

So what is the reason we have it in both places? and can I just disable it via exim by running:
You're looking at it the wrong way I guess, or I don't understand you correctly.

The exim.variables.conf.custom and exim.strings.conf.custom are not copy's but replacements.
You can create exim.conf overrides with them.

echo "EASY_HIGH_SCORE_DROP==1000" >> /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.conf.custom
That wouldn't do anything, since like this you just copy the value to that specific variables.conf.custom which is another one then used in the /etc directory.

However I am wondering if we can disable that
Disable what? All RBL's from the exim.conf file?
Yes, I guess by adding an empty line to the /etc/exim.strings.conf.custom file like this:
Code:
RBL_DNS_LIST==
which would clear all use of the RBL's present in the exim.conf file.

I don't know what you're trying to achieve specifically, but be aware that you're talking about different files which do different things, they are not the same.
/etc/exim.strings.conf.custom /etc/exim.variables.conf.custom /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.conf.custom

/etc/exim.strings.conf.custom = where rbls are managed from and blocked from. So you are saying ESF does not use this to block emails.

/etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.conf.custom = basically dont want ESF to do anything.

My goal is to have servers just use rspamd for ALL filtering. Dont want exim or ESF to do anything. So that our support staff can view and provide valuable information to customers without having to escalate to system admin team all the time for logs regarding rbls blocks or ESF blocking things as its easier to view issues via rspamd gui.

/etc/exim.strings.conf.custom = where rbls are managed from and blocked from. So you are saying ESF does not use this to block emails.
Not as far as I know. It's an override option of the exim.strings.conf and for the RBL's which you want to change from exim.conf.
If I'm not mistaken only Exim is using this to check if it has to use different RBL's than in the exim.conf. I'm not 100% sure if ESF is using them too.

/etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.conf.custom = basically dont want ESF to do anything.
In that case, why not just remove ESF?

You can disable this in the options.conf so it won't be build.

If i'm correct you can remove it that way too.
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build set easy_spam_fighter no
./build update
./build list_removals
./build remove_items
and maybe remove the exim.easy_spam_fighter directory.

Back