Recompiling Exim and libraries

SenetEHV

Verified User
Strangely the procedure described in the DA knowledge base here http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=125 worked fine (after installing the required libs) on some older Debian 5 machines (a couple of months ago), but on a fresh one (Debian 5.0.3 Lenny 32bit) I get the messages below when I "make":
Code:
myserver:~/exim-4.71# make
`Makefile' is up to date.

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/exim-4.71/build-Linux-i386'
gcc -o exim_dbmbuild
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/libdb.a(getaddrinfo.o): In function `__db_getaddrinfo':
(.text+0x44): warning: Using 'getaddrinfo' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/libdb.a(os_pid.o): In function `__os_id':
(.text+0x2b): undefined reference to `pthread_self'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/libdb.a(os_yield.o): In function `__os_yield':
(.text+0x12): undefined reference to `pthread_yield'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/libdb.a(mut_pthread.o): In function `__db_pthread_mutex_destroy':
(.text+0x38): undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_destroy'

... (etc)

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.o): In function `_Unwind_Find_FDE':
(.text+0x18fa): undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_lock'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.o): In function `__deregister_frame_info_bases':
(.text+0x1b99): undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_unlock'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [exim_dbmbuild] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/exim-4.71/build-Linux-i386'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Something with static vs. dynamic libraries I could make out from some Google searches. I'm not a Linux programmer, so I'm rather clueless on how to fix this. Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this?

Nego

Verified User
Hmm exact same problem over here still without a solution.

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Regarding this link:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=125

The Makefile will have this line:
Code:
EXTRALIBS=-static
Basically, you'll want to remove that whole line. This perl regex (as per the id=125 guide) will also comment out the line:
Code:
perl -pi -e 's/^EXTRALIBS/#EXTRALIBS/' Makefile
John

SenetEHV

Verified User
Eek, I might have overlooked that line in the howto while configuring this server! On our other servers it worked fine, but I must not have overlooked that perl line on this one. I feel quite silly now. :eek: Thanks for the assistance! Going to try it this afternoon, but it looks like this was the problem.

Edit:
Exim has been built successfully. I still feel dumb for missing that one line. :eek:

Last edited: