Relaying email from Dovecot to Exchange 2007

jados1ms

Currently my company is using Dovecot as an IMAP email server. We are currently setting up exchange to take its place, but since we have been using Dovecot we have had no problems. I want to try and keep Dovecot as our front end email server and use exchange 2007 as a back end email system. Is there away to keep Dovecot on the front end and have it relay email to exchange 2007 and then the users attached to exchange can get there mail from there. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing this? Any help would be great fully appreciated.

jados1ms

Sounds like a great solution but will this work with an IMAP email server. Its sounds like the software will only communicate with a POP3 email service. Let me know what you think.

NVarra

Verified User
No, it will not use IMAP, but what we do for ourselves and clients that wish to have their Exchange servers on their own LANs is have all e-mail handled via servers in data centers (redundant connectivity, power, etc) then have the POP connector retrieve the e-mail and deliver it to the local Exchange server. I also setup Exchange to relay the mail back out through any one our of main mail servers.

The only downside to this setup is that I setup the POP connector to fetch mail every 3-5 minutes so the client, worst case, will have to wait 3-5 minutes for an external e-mail to come in.

Oh... and once the Exchange server has the mail then users can use OWA or the Exchange servers IMAP to access messages.

jados1ms

Does Dovecot have the capability of relaying mail to exchange or is there away to setup a connector or something in exchange to pull mail from our current IMAP server?