Request: Health dashboard page

Maniak

Verified User
Hi,

It has been a long time since I have not been active on this board, so I am back.

I would like to request a feature that I call the 'health' or 'sanity' check dashboard page. Open-source software's are very often updated and released in stable versions and to make a complete list, I am talking off:

- Apache
- Bind (named)
- Dovecot
- Exim
- PHP
- MySQL
- ProFTPd
- OpenSSH

The idea is to have a file called 'stable-releases.txt' located somewhere on DA's file server and that the file contain all software with the current stable releases.

Code:
apache=2.2.13
php=5.3.0
etc...

and that there's a page called "health check" that compares installed version with the current stable one. The system should take care of the server configuration (apache 1.3, 2.0, 2.2 | php 4/5/6 cli or cgi | etc..) and that you can see a little report that look like:

Code:
Software		Installed	Current stable		Status
--------		---------	--------------		------

Apache			2.2.13		2.2.13			OK
Exim			4.68		4.69			Outdated

It would be good that the check is done together with the tally tasks and that the server administrator can to have an option to include a server report with an email.

It would help to keep our boxes up to date easily.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You should create that plugin if you want it.

Or simply we can add a interface for custombuild into DA

Wouldn't that slow down custombuild development if a new version of DirectAdmin had to be created every time a new version of any of the managed software came out?

Jeff

Well what could be done is to create a plugin that would be able to interact with Custombuild. Just click a button to download the newest versions file and then have it check what versions you have against the versions file. Let the plugin be the GUI for Custombuild. It already does everything that's needed to be done.

Hello,

The interface in DA aside, custombuild already does that.
If you see number 3) of this guide:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=247

It mentions how to setup a cronjob to check for updates every night.
It will also notify the admin via email (if you set it to do so) with new versions and updates, along with what you have, thus telling you what you need to update.
Basically, it will watch for updates for you, every day and lets you know when they're available.

There is also an option in there as well to actually *do* the updates as they come, but I never recommend to be a totally hands-off server admin, as unseen issues could arise (even simple ones) that only a human can resolve.

There is a file that holds the current versions called:
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/versions.txt

And you can get a human version along with currently installed versions by typing:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build versions
John

Thanks all for reply. I will maybe write a little piece of code for that one of these day. In case I will keep you posted.

Back