Resetting users permissions

fusionictnl

Verified User
Okay I've got a problem with the permissions.

I've had to restore a backup on the server, but now the permissions doesn't comply with users home dir.

I've manually fixed things, but when a user restores his backup DA changes them back to the wrong ones ?? Now apache can't access the public_html etc...

I have to manualy fix things every time.. The CGI-BIN are owned and grouped by the user. But suexec doesn't seem to understand wich group it is as he says "others" can write to it.

But permissions are set to: 770 (not working, same error)
Permissions set to: 750 (not working, same error)
Permissions set to: 700 (not working, same error)
Permissions set to: 555 (working no errors)

Somehow apache,suexec and DA doesn't have the same UID's as the system level specified UID's in passwd.

How the hell can I sync. DA or whatever this is doing with DA.

Thx a lot guys!!

I have the same problem. Any help with this would be great.

-Seth

Hello,

The restore just runs "tar xzfp file.tar.gz" (with some other optinos for which dir to put it in) .. point being the "p" tells tar to use what permissions were there before (stored in the backup). I can just add a bit of code to redo the directory permissions/ownership to 755 after tar finishes (shouldn't need to, but this will just ensure it).

However you mention that 700 and 750 dont work on the cgi-bin? That's very strange if the cgi-bin is in fact owned/grouped by the correct user.

"others can write to it" would imply something like "777"

John

Back