RHEL/CentOS 6 is not supported by DirectAdmin anymore.

ViAdCk

Verified User
Hi,

Today on a vps I tried to reinstall exim with custombuild but it gives the error "RHEL/CentOS 6 is not supported by DirectAdmin anymore."

I can't even run a simple command like "./build version"

Is custombuild completely unusable from now on?

Regards

Probely yes, we have one Centos 6 box which showed this after the latest DA update.

As far I can see the backups are still running but there would be no any updates anymore I assume.
@DirectAdmin Support can maybe inform us, I understand that there no updates will be provided but what about rebuilding progs like exim of apache? why is this disabled ?

Last edited:
Probely yes, one of our Centos 6 boxes showed this after the latest DA update.

As far I can see the backups are still running but there would be no any updates anymore I assume.
@DirectAdmin Support can maybe inform us, I understand that there no updates will be provided but what about rebuilding progs like exim of apache? why is this disabled ?
Confusing too , how to run cmd build if all disabled.

for rebuild tool it must should still be able to run using the software version that was downloaded previously like exim , php and other , just can't update to the version above .
If all build tool failed to use , how to rewrite_confs ?

It may not be straight forward to compile Exim 4.96 onto CentOS 6.

As Exim 4.96 requires pcre2 , but CentOS 6 contains pcre only.

This seems related to our EOL policies rather than something unique to CentOS 6. Any EOL distro would lose entitlement to DirectAdmin/CustomBuild development after the date we publish.

I'll ping @smtalk in case there is anything technical he would like to add, but it seems like a case of giving more development than promised. Instead of January 2022, CB development for CentOS 6 went until August 2022, which explains why people are noticing it only now.

Any EOL distro would lose entitlement to DirectAdmin/CustomBuild development after the date we publish.
Correct, but the question was not as why to newer versions could not be updated but as why to current used versions couldn't be rebuild via the build script anymore.
So it's not about new development but about being able to reinstall or recompile the current used stuff via custombuild.

I agree with richard
For newest version i agree it not compatible anymore or cant update
But why versions has been used before couldn't be rebuild via the build script anymore.
Like php , mysql , openlitespeed has already install or download before.
And how to rewrite confs if too if all feature build in cb has been blocking.

Last edited:
Out of interest, why are you running CentOS 6?

You have a sign on your front door asking people to walk in and steal your stuff.
This is beyond the scope I opened this post about, there are numerous reasons why clients hesitate to upgrade their systems but as I said, that's not the point of the post. There are thousands of threads on the internet on this matter if you're interested in discussing this matter but it's not something I'm interested in.

Going back to the original topic that this post is about, I can understand custombuild doesn't offer new software installations from a certain point, but not letting rebuild the software that's already installed on the system just doesn't make any sense to be honest.

Not everyone runs CloudLinux,
As said , this is an Centos 6 server and not CL 6 only the support is given by CL
Back yo topic, still didn't get any respons on @ViAdCk his question:
I can understand custombuild doesn't offer new software installations from a certain point, but not letting rebuild the software that's already installed on the system just doesn't make any sense to be honest.
@smtalk ?

Jumping here into this topic as well. We run 10 servers still with CL 6.x with long term support. Disabling these for Custombuild makes me wonder if this is the next thing to force people into buying Support subscriptions. IMHO, I can still update custombuild on unsupported Debian 6.0 systems.

Would be great to rerun / rebuild the latest supported version. Imagine you are now unable to make a mysql backup prior to migrations or build to the latest DA release so you are able to migrate to RH/ALMA 8.x releases!

There isn't much to add to the topic. Similar issues appeared when CentOS 4 or CentOS 5 could not compile packages anymore. New installations of CentOS 6 do not work for a long time already. Existing installations are still running. If we continue providing CustomBuild for EOL systems - it'll just start breaking the things, instead of leaving everything "in-place" and working. For example, latest version of CustomBuild has no support for init.d systems anymore, it's systemd-only. It has no startup scripts for the services, expects components like MariaDB or PHP to always be started in foreground mode, has no component-downgrades or code to custom-compile libraries that are available on newer systems. This error thrown is added there to protect the systems from unexpected behaviour-outages, not to cause them :)

Hi @smtalk , sure I do understand your thoughts. Yet how about allowing these systems to update towards the latest supported version of CB? Which will not break any matters and allows them to recompile services / configuration and be able to perform tasks like rewrite configs, update to latest supported versions and backups. I assume all of us intent to upgrade towards latest supported OS versions at the soonest possibility.

Hi @smtalk , sure I do understand your thoughts. Yet how about allowing these systems to update towards the latest supported version of CB? Which will not break any matters and allows them to recompile services / configuration and be able to perform tasks like rewrite configs, update to latest supported versions and backups. I assume all of us intent to upgrade towards latest supported OS versions at the soonest possibility.
This would be a development of a second product, twice as much of development. And if we start doing it with every EOL of OS - we'll soon have a lot of different CustomBuilds that all need to be supported/developed. I understand your inconvenience, however - things like user config rewrites can be still achieved using task.queue.

things like user config rewrites can be still achieved using task.queue.
Can you give an example of that? I think several users will be helped who might not know how to put a ./build rewrite_confs into a task queue.

Back