Roundcube does not display emails

simisimis

Verified User
Hello,
I am new to DA, I just took over the server and now I noticed that Roundcube does not display emails. Actually those emails are not delivered to users home dir.
if I login to roundcube and send an email from it, I receive it, but if I reply, there's nothing in ~/Maildir/new directory. I found out that when I send that reply there's a file created in /var/spool/virtual/mydomain.com/myusername
and basically that file contains all message source of my letters which does not get into maildir.
I am using centos distr with roundcube 0.5

I thought that maybe here is some simple config file I should check or something like that, in case you need more information about the system or logs, please comment.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Cheers!

Simonas

some observations

BTW, here are some observations,
I created only test user and been checking if everything is working,
Reseller1 > user > myuser
then I added to myuser three different domain names, from the hosting point of view everything is working fine, dns, webdirs, databases, but I see that under mail configuration I have username "myuser"(without "@sub.mydomain.com"), and it is used for all three domains.
I tried to create another user "[email protected]", then emails arrive without a problem.

so maybe there is something with username lookup.
another thing I tried to check exim logs and there's what I saw:

Code:
2012-03-26 14:09:03 1SC7SR-0002ON-Sg Failed to find user "" from expanded string "${lookup{$domain}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}}" for the virtual_localdelivery transport
2012-03-26 14:09:03 1SC7SR-0002ON-Sg == [email protected] R=localdilivery T=virtual_localdelivery defer (-29): Failed to find user "" from expanded string "${lookup{$domain}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}}" for the virtual_localdelivery transport

note that error contains [email protected], but it should be looking for user [email protected]

one more thing

sorry for making so many posts in here, I just wanted to add one more thing,
I found that those emails are dropped into directory:
/home/myuser/imap/sub.mydomain.com/myuser/new
so I guess I need to configure somehow roundcube for checking right directory.
Would appreciate if you could suggest me how I can do that

I am using centos distr with roundcube 0.5...

Is Roundcube installed from source? If so, you should uninstall Roundcube and install Roundcube using DirectAdmin Custombuild. Newest version is 0.7.2:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build versions

If Roundube is not listed when doing ./build versions, then you change the usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf line to "yes" like this:

Code:
roundcube=yes

Then:
Code:
./build update
./build roundcube

Edit: added missing folder /custombuild/ to path to options.conf file.

Last edited:
Is Roundcube installed from source? If so, you should uninstall Roundcube and install Roundcube using DirectAdmin Custombuild. Newest version is 0.7.2:

Thank you for your quick reply,
No, roundcube was installed from either scripts directory or from custom builds, that guys does not work here anymore, so it is difficult to say

If Roundube is not listed when doing ./build versions, then you change the usr/local/directadmin/options.conf line to "yes" like this:

Code:
roundcube=yes

Then:
Code:
./build update
./build roundcube

I followed the steps, got a line saying installed successfully, however after that followed some error and warning output. You can see it bellow:

Code:
# ./build roundcube
cp: `/var/www/html/roundcube/logs' and `/var/www/html/roundcubemail-0.7.2/logs' are the same file
cp: `/var/www/html/roundcube/temp' and `/var/www/html/roundcubemail-0.7.2/temp' are the same file
Editing roundcube configuration...
[B]Roundcube 0.7.2 has been installed successfully.[/B]
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library './imagick.so' - ./imagick.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
WARNING: Database schema needs to be updated!
Missing table 'cache_index'
Missing table 'cache_thread'
Missing table 'cache_messages'
Missing columns in table 'contacts': words
Missing table 'dictionary'
Missing table 'searches'

Do you want to run the update queries to get the schmea fixed? (y/N)
y
MDB2 Error: not found (-4): _doQuery: [Error message: Could not execute statement]
[Last executed query: ALTER TABLE `messages`
  DROP INDEX `idx`,
  DROP INDEX `uid`;
]
[Native code: 1091]
[Native message: Can't DROP 'idx'; check that column/key exists]

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library './imagick.so' - ./imagick.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
Indexing contacts for user 1...done.
Indexing contacts for user 2...done.
This instance of Roundcube is up-to-date.
Have fun!

should I fully uninstall roundcube and drop tables and only then install it? or those errors are not related with my problem?

Thanks

I don't know. Maybe you should send a email to support (at) directadmin.com , or maybe wait for others to respond ... By the way, did this solve your initial problem regarding email?

I don't know. Maybe you should send a email to support (at) directadmin.com , or maybe wait for others to respond ... By the way, did this solve your initial problem regarding email?

oh, I forgot to mention, no it didn't solve. roundcube still does not take emails from /home/myuser/imap/sub.mydomain.com/myuser/new
I am guessing it should be related to the fact that email user is myuser, but not [email protected]
and since that user owns to 2 other domains i believe might be the problem. Thanks for your suggestions anyway,
Have a good day

Where/how did you set up myuser? Is it the username for the user? Or is it a virtual user?

How do you login with Roundcube? As username? Or as [email protected]?

If the former, do you see your email if you login as the latter?

Also, if the former, does [email protected] also exist?

Do you have the problem with any other webmail client on the same server?

Jeff

Where/how did you set up myuser? Is it the username for the user? Or is it a virtual user?
actually I did not set it up separately, system created it when I created domain, so it is not virtual user, when I go to email section it shows:
Account - myuser(at)sub.mydomain.com
Login - myuser

if I go to sub2.mydomain.com administration I see:
Account - myuser(at)sub2.mydomain.com
Login - myuser

so I have a user with three websites which share the same username for three different websites.

How do you login with Roundcube? As username? Or as [email protected]? If the former, do you see your email if you login as the latter?

I cant login as a myuser(at)sub.mydomain.com, only with myuser, otherwise I get error, but I am not surprised cause in email accounts under login section I see myuser without (at)
and when I log in, identities part is empty, but its also quite reasonable, since three different domains are linked to the same user, but even if I set up identity, it affects sending, but not receiving. If I create virtual newuser, system does not even allow to create it without (at) domain thing, so that user under email accounts in the login section has newuser(at)sub.mydomain.com, and to login I have to type whole email, not just newuser. Also, when I login, I don't need to configure identities and I receive emails. So now I am not even sure if it is a problem, maybe it is just made that way to work. However since most of subdomains are people names, I would have to recreate a lot of users so I could be able to create a lot of emails, which I don't see as a solution..

Also, if the former, does [email protected] also exist?
Do you have the problem with any other webmail client on the same server?
Jeff

It does not, this problem is server wide, not with specific account. I checked - all user mail logins are usernames without (at)sub.mydomain.com
and the problem is with different domains as well e.g. with (at)sub.mydomain2.com
Maybe I should manually edit some script that automatically creates default email user for newly created domain to add (at)sub.mydomain.com, but then again wouldnt there be a problem if a user would have more than one domain assigned to him.

Maybe I should manually edit some script that automatically creates default email user for newly created domain to add (at)sub.mydomain.com,
No, you should not do this.

For some reason, the configuration is looking for the user is looking for email in the imap directory path, but username email is stored in the Maildir directory path. I've just tested, and on my systems with only one domain assigned to an account Roundcube does look in the Maildir directory as it should.

I'd suggest deleting completely and then reinstalling Roundcube. Note this could change or delete user settings.

Jeff

Back