Safe to increase the CSF Deny IP Limit past 1000?

beansbaxter

Verified User
I'm running the latest version of DA with the latest version of CSF.

In my CSF configuration, I currently have my DENY_IP_LIMIT set to 1000, which is the recommended max value.

I want to increase that number. Is there any harm in raising that value?

Or is there a better solution for blocking IP addresses?

Looking at Brute Force Monitor in DA, I am getting hammered with exim1 incorrect authorization attempts.

Any insight or advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

recommendation is rather simplistic. The search through the deny list is done for each packet and is a linear search. Sure, the kernel is fast, but someone decided that 1,000 was a good limit for the average server to keep from having to much latency.

But no server is truly average so feel free to experiment.

Jeff

Any insight or advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'd rather not increase the value that high. But instead I'd rather run a cron script to analyze IPs in a block list and aggregate it into subnets, and block IP ranges. We mostly have DENY_IP_LIMIT set to 200-300, and block IP ranges on a gateway/router.

I hope you are running a dedicated server (if to compare with VPS), as on OpenVZ based virtual servers there might be a limit for a number of iptables rules. In this case you'd need to care much about DENY_IP_LIMIT.

Some DC might allow to block IPs on their routers and gateways. So you might want to check with them as well.

Just know the more crap you have in your firewall the more time it will take for connections to process cause it has to analyze the firewall rules each time a connection is made.

Back