Secondary DNS Only Version?

eger

Verified User
Wondering if there has ever been talk of a stripped down 'DNS Only' version of DA which can act as a DNS synchronization without any apache, mysql, php, or mail daemons. I know there are scripts and ways to copy and sync zones on a secondary server. But I am interested in a solution that integrates with DA where I don't have to design something to do this.

I searched and couldn't find any topics on this. cPanel has a package of a sort that does this. But it was very clunky and I recall it still installed apache and other stuff that didn't seem necessary. I think DA could do this in just the DA binary to sync domain information and to issue rndc tranfer and reload commands to copy the slave DNS information over bind. I would even pay for a DNS Only license (as long as it was a little cheaper than a normal 'Full Control Panel' license).

Just some thoughts. The next step down from this that I am trying to write is a script that can just get a list of domains from the current named.conf and then generate a bunch of slave named.conf statements on a secondary server.

Anyone else feel a version or package like this might be handy?

That is the script I had looked at before. I was not able to get it working an instead started to use the idea to write my own. I am glad there is an interest in it though. Since I have had instances where a DNS server will be down. But everything else works fine. Having the DNS down on one machine without a secondary means all services are down. A secondary will keep the domain live and in cache, even if the actual server which hosts the services is, in fact, down.

Lots of people are using it (including me). My company wrote it.

464 people have registered to download it.

There's a bug in the last line of the script on the master. It's a simple typo which you can correct, and of course you have to uncomment the line.

However, because the gent who wrote it for us has disappeared, we're doing a complete rewrite.

Jeff

Lots of people are using it (including me). My company wrote it.

464 people have registered to download it.

There's a bug in the last line of the script on the master. It's a simple typo which you can correct, and of course you have to uncomment the line.

However, because the gent who wrote it for us has disappeared, we're doing a complete rewrite.

Jeff

Hallo Jeff,

How far are you by now?

With the new rewrite? Not far enough to release. I don't have any problems with the current one, though.

Jeff

Back