sender verification

Chrysalis

Verified User
the 1.2 config older version had this enabled, but the 2.0 config now comments it out with no reason given. Is this the new exim default or the change was made because of some problems people had?

If so what problems has it caused thanks.

I'm the right guy to respond, since I'm the one who made the change.

I made it because it was causing some good email to be refused.

If mail is from your local server, the server tries to send mail back to the same address; if it can't (because for example a php program doesn't use a valid from address), it'll freeze the email because it can neither send it on (becaue of the configuration) nor return it.

If mail is from a non-local server it'll merely check to see if it can find the sending server. If it can it'll accept the email, and if not it'll refuse the email.

I had some problems so I changed the default. You can change it to whichever you want.

Jeff

ok thanks for the explanation.

I wasnt aware of such problems thats what I wanted to know. :)

That all said, Chrysalis, there are probably a lot of people who will want to use it. I just decided it shouldn't be used in a hosting environment where we shouldn't be as tough on what our users do or don't want to get. I'd rather, as the saying goes, be conservative in what I respond and liberal in what I receive. See Postel's Law, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postel's_Law

(note that the URL has an apostrophe in it, and this forum won't automatically create a link for it)

Jeff

yeah I am still using it now I know the reason, I am just on the lookout to see if the same problem happens to me or not and if it does I will disable it.

Back