server monitor plus

AndyII

Verified User
Any suggestions on a well rounded server monitor?
I currently use IPCheck server monitor , but it doesnt give enough, I would like to see something through DA , thre are a few apps out there but each has a couple features but not enough.
Wirth all the SPAM and hackers out there attaching sites, I want to keep tabs on certain server functions, like mysql SHOWPROCESS, server load, etc.
Not only that , clients will install most anytrhing, such as scripts that are not written well, this was a problem for me when 1 client had a site that was custom and when his membership hit 1000, the querys on the db were extensive, arround 4 million per hr, I had too shut down the site as it was affecting other sites.
I dont want to be the "Last" one to know, or have to search out whos doing what....
Anyone have something that will work, A plugin for DA would be nice .....

Thanks for the info, did go check it out.
did also find a perl script that was to do a showprocess, this would be a start at least, knowing what the server's DB was doing, but it doesnt work for some reason, dont do a lot with perl, but have setup perl based mailing lists, so I do know some and about the transfer mode and the chmod needed.
anyone care to examine the script, I would be happy to send it along
what i get when run is an internal server error, most ive seen with this type error is its a chmod problem....

If your running cacti I recommend you check into the latest insecurity about ten days ago. I read about it on an ISP list somewhere, but since I don't run cacti, I didn't keep ar record of it.

I'm thinking about installing Zabbix. It sure looks good, google for it.

My partner already installed locally so he could test it and it didn't seem too complicated to configure.

I know the security news :) And I've fixed the few security bugs that have been reported before the new release.

I'm thinking about installing Zabbix. It sure looks good, google for it.

My partner already installed locally so he could test it and it didn't seem too complicated to configure.

Zabbix is very cool. Would also recommend it for monitoring, alerting and mapping. I use it along with cacti for historical data and graphing.

I've looked into the Zabbix documentation, and what I don't see is any ability to monitor servers that don't have the agent installed.

Can I do that with Zabbix?

Jeff

I've looked into the Zabbix documentation, and what I don't see is any ability to monitor servers that don't have the agent installed.

Can I do that with Zabbix?

Yep, right from the homepage:
Zabbix's native high-performance agents support virtually every platform including AIX, HP-UX, *BSD, Linux, MacOS, Solaris, and Win32. It also supports SNMP and agentless monitoring, i.e. monitoring of simple services such as SMTP, SSH, WWW, FTP, POP3, IMAP, and others without any agent installed on a machine being monitored.

Thanks. I'd never think to look at requirements, but in a reverse-logic kind of way, I guess it's logical :) .

This looks a lot easier to configure than does the other projects we've tried and looked it; I'm going to give it a try.

Jeff

My mistake. It is on the new archive page about the initial release of Zabbix: http://www.zabbix.org/news.php

Though it is a release for 1.0, I don't think they would have removed that feature. At least I hope not because I plan to do some agentles smonitoring also.

My mistake. It is on the new archive page about the initial release of Zabbix: http://www.zabbix.org/news.php

Though it is a release for 1.0, I don't think they would have removed that feature. At least I hope not because I plan to do some agentles smonitoring also.

Well, you were not wrong anyway. :)

On the frontpage you still have this:

Agentless monitoring
* Monitoring of remote services (FTP, SSH, HTTP, other)
* Support of SNMP v1,2,3
* SNMP traps

Let me know how it goes for you.

Yup, that Agentless monitoring section is there; I just didn't notice it :( .

Jeff

If someone gets Zabbix up and running on a DirectAdmin server, would you mind writing a how-to on how to setup and configure everything for a DA install? Right now I'm using MRTG, but this program looks really great! Thanks.

Back