Service Restart Errors?

Hmm.. actually, now that I look at mine, the proc permissions on mine are similar to yours. I can cd into the directoires that are d---------. What does your system informatino show? are the visible? how about the "services status" ... they all use the same method for reading the proc directory.

One option is to turn off the checking in the /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status.. just set them to OFF.

John

I tried to get some help in my favorite BSD forum and one of the mods over there said that /proc is no longer supported in 5.x.

http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18892

He said it should use ioctl / sysctl. But of course other people have it running ok from what I can see. So I am lost at this point. Maybe since it has been downgraded and no longer officially supported something has to be configured to get it to work correctly that I'm not doing.

Can you post your rc.conf info and pkg_info readout?

Code:
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="my.hostname.com"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.0.100  netmask 255.255.255.0"
inetd_enable="YES"
ipv6_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
and pkg_info was posted in another thread...
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1726&highlight=pkginfo

I think I'll look into reading it from the ioctl.. as that would be far more efficient anyway... we'll see how it turns out.

John

Similiar Issue on Red Hat 9.0

We are receiving the following error message on our Red Hat 9 box. I just pasted from the previous post obviously the domain name is different but the error is still the same.

Feb 8 23:40:16 sv013 proftpd[1298]: .com - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use
Feb 8 23:40:16 sv013 proftpd[1298]: sv013.xuru.com - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.

This is showing up exactly once every minute.

No other services are producing errors. I think this might be caused by the fact that directadmin is registered to our domain name and then we have that same domain name setup in the user panel? Would this cause two instances of proftpd to start? I'm not sure if that is even remotely a potential cause. Any other ideas why this might be happening?

Hello,

Make sure that you have the hostname IP setup correctly in the /etc/hosts files. The hostname needs to point to the server IP, while localhost can go to 127.0.0.1. You can just change the hostname, then change it back through the admin settings screen to setup the /etc/hosts file correctly.

OR.. there may exist another ftp program running... you can check to see if there is another ftp program running by typing:

telnet localhost 21

The ServerType setting should be:

ServerType standalone

John

I checked the etc/hosts file and everything looked correct.

However I noticed we set the hostname to use the same domain as our primary hosting account name. Instead of using sever.domain.com for the host name and then domain.com for our primary hosting account name. The installation instructions specifically say not to do this.

Would this cause the error we see above? I turned off ftp status in
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status

Does this solve the problem or just stop notification of the problem? Next I think I will change the hostname and see if that resolves this issue.

Update:
Tried changing the hostname and this had no effect.

Last edited:
I am also getting these errors and I think it may be the cause of my ftp problem with it getting slower and slower...

Running Freebsd 4.9 so perhaps this is a bug with da and freebsd?

-Jon-

jmstacey said:
I am also getting these errors and I think it may be the cause of my ftp problem with it getting slower and slower...

Running Freebsd 4.9 so perhaps this is a bug with da and freebsd?

-Jon-

Are you talking about my erros, with all services or davef8 single error?

Yours. The services keep trying to start even thought their already running and I get errors like /kernel is using the ip address and no modules for 'ftp' etc and can't bind to 0.0.0.0.0 port whatever..

-Jon-

As it turns out we had vsftpd running the whole time. This was creating conflicts with proftpd. Once we turned vsftpd off, these errors stopped happening.

jmstacey, did you ever find a solution, we are still looking for one :(

By the way I did find an ndc.core file in the directadmin directory which suggests there was an issue with ndc that started all this. But I have cvsup'ed the complete source of the server since then and tested that ndc works at the cmd line so I am not sure why da would be having an issue with it. That also doesn't explian why all other programs are restarting to.

Last edited:
Yes, but I don't think the cause is the same as yours.

I found my problem was due to a faulty router which tried to take the server ip address even though I set it to be static. I replaced the router and the problem is solved so I guess it was checking by its ip address as as it was trying to be stolen by another system it tried to restart it..

Xuru:
If your services are being restarted all the time, check the /var/log/directadmin/system.log to see if DA is doing it. If it is, check the /proc directory to make sure it exists. If DA can't read inside that, then it won't be able to see if the program is running and will assume its not. Next release the FreeBSD 5.x's will use the direct sysctl method, so the /proc directory shouldn't be an issue.

John

Yea

The "/var/log/directadmin/system.log" shows it is definitally DA restarting them over and over.

I also checked and /proc is there, and it contains all the proper files with showing services are up.

I finally did as you suggested and in "/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status" set everything to off. But then DA kept turning them back on. I finally had to turn them off in that file and do a "chflags schg services.status" so it would keep them off.

I guess I'll just keep it that way until the sysctl method is implemened.

Hello,

DA is being bad if the services.status file is being changed every minute. I just had a look in the code and it's not being written by the dataskq... The only place it's written is when you turn programs on and off through the Admin Panel -> Services Info. When you click "start" it's set to on. If you click "stop" it's set to "OFF". Also having them set to OFF doesn't prevent DA from starting them when they're supposed to be restarted (like when a domain is added)... it only prevents DA from checking if they're running every minute.

John

Yes Da only seems to be trying to write the file when I mess with the start/stop/restart in DA.

In the error.log I have

2004:02:28-20:13:23: Unable to move ./data/admin/services.status.temp to ./data/admin/services.status : Operation not permitted

It only has that logged at times that match up to when I was messing with da in the admin section.

So I guess it's not being bad on that end. but I still had to lock the file because even if it's not checking the services every minute with them being off, I don't need them turned back on when I used DA to restart them manually.

Hmm.. I'm wondering if turning it off should set them to OFF, but starting them should leave it alone.. If you turn them off and not change the file, then they'll just be started up again in a minute.. so it's hard to say what the correct answer is :)

John

jmstacey said:
Yours. The services keep trying to start even thought their already running and I get errors like /kernel is using the ip address and no modules for 'ftp' etc and can't bind to 0.0.0.0.0 port whatever..

-Jon-
I have the same on an install today on FreeBSD 4.9. Can't seem to get proftpd started. Looks like no other ftpd running.
Keeps restarting the thing every minute. Manually stopping gives an error. proftpd.vhost etc are empty. Any idea?

Did you reboot the server after install. I know is sounds stupid but I had same problems getting services to bind to the server ip after installs so now I just reboot when I get the error. I suspect I know what the problem is but I would rather reset everything.

Are there any errors in the /var/log/messages? .. or /var/log/proftpd/* ??

Also make sure that your /etc/hosts file has the hostname set as the main IP, and NOT 127.0.0.1... eg:

Code:
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.localdomain
1.2.3.4     your.hostname.com
John

Back