signal TERM received. Waiting for children to exit - every hour?

alexjohn

Verified User
Hi, a couple of my boxes have this in the logs every hour, can anyone shed any light please?

With respect, it is incredibly unhelpful to just post search results, without actually bothering to read the question. I had a clear, polite request, which was why this would happen every hour. I did search on the internet prior. There are references to the entry itself but not why it would happen every hour.

what is the context in the log?

example from post.
2014:06:20-10:42:01: httpd reloaded
2014:06:20-10:42:05: signal TERM received. Waiting for children to exit
2014:06:20-10:42:05: Clean shutdown successful

It means in general something is terming the process. Could be a memory issue could be lots of stuff. Which process are we speaking of?

Is it a VPS like here ?

Here is what they are

Macro: int SIGTERM
The SIGTERM signal is a generic signal used to cause program termination. Unlike SIGKILL, this signal can be blocked, handled, and ignored. It is the normal way to politely ask a program to terminate.

The shell command kill generates SIGTERM by default.

With respect, it is incredibly unhelpful to just post search results, without actually bothering to read the question. I had a clear, polite request, which was why this would happen every hour. I did search on the internet prior. There are references to the entry itself but not why it would happen every hour.
Sorry but do some more reading i sugest, also in how to post.
While no info about OS and versions and more of that stuff, how could someone help you without, i think they aren't magican to forsee what you are using on your boxes.

I mean your request is not so clear as you think it is. ;)

You even forgot which service /s ?

Or scripts of someone or a Programm, not everybody is using here as such info.

what is the context in the log?

example from post.
2014:06:20-10:42:01: httpd reloaded
2014:06:20-10:42:05: signal TERM received. Waiting for children to exit
2014:06:20-10:42:05: Clean shutdown successful

It means in general something is terming the process. Could be a memory issue could be lots of stuff. Which process are we speaking of?

Is it a VPS like here ?

Here is what they are

Macro: int SIGTERM
The SIGTERM signal is a generic signal used to cause program termination. Unlike SIGKILL, this signal can be blocked, handled, and ignored. It is the normal way to politely ask a program to terminate.

The shell command kill generates SIGTERM by default.
Hi @bdacus01, thank you for this, I will look into this.

Back