Skin Design Underway, Requires Some Help

Mindlash

Verified User
Previously I posted: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=253
which displays a design I developed a while back, but seems to have lost intrest in coding partnership (As I am not a DA Coder).

I've just recently found myself acquiring a DA license for a new client of mine, and would much rather design my layout which reflects the professionalism of the company...

At any rate, I've started... and before I get to far in the design aspect I wanted to get some feedback.

1) How does it look... feel...
2) The direction of the design do you feel it will easily be navigation-friendly
3) Does anyone have time on their hands to accept a PSD file to begin slicing it as needed... etc etc.

Feedback is always great. :)

Thanks.

.:. Mindlash
location: http://www.mindlash.com/images/directadmin (layout 02)

prefer layout002 over layout001, neither are colours i would personally select, i would try a contrasting colour mixed in with layout 002, everything in different shades of orange seems very bland to me. Apart from that, the font used at the top:

> DirectAdmin
> Home
> Logout
> General
> Email
> MySQL
> Domain
> Stats
> Advanced

all seem blurred.. make sure you have anti alias enabled on the fonts :)

Chris

UltimeWWW,
Logicly the 'color schemes' should be changeable, once the inner code work has been written.

Would simply be a matter then of changing hues/tints/etc...

Thanks for the compliments and comments

ProWebUK,
Thank you for your tips. That's actually a 'look' I was going for on the fonts (non aliased)... gives it more of a techie feel... Though I get your point.

Thank you as well for your comments.

Please keep them coming. As well, if someone can contact me that is interested in working with me on making this skin a reality, I would greatly appreciate it ;)

AIM: house98
MSN: house_98

Take care.

I actually liked both skins quite a bit.

Both are very functional. But I think that readability is a primary concern in a skin as far as the text goes. Don't forget that many of the people who will be using the DA CP will have little idea what they are actually doing :D

Them being able to clearly read the menus is top priority.

Slightly OT:

I just ran a Google search for "Direct Admin Skins" and "DirectAdmin Skins" and the results were not pretty. :)

So if anyone is looking for skins, it looks like this is the ONLY place atm where you will have a prayer of finding them.

Unfortunately, most of my skinning experience (from forums) involves using another skin (completed) and then hacking it up a bit to make it what I want. Never built it from the ground up.

Guess I better get started fooling around with the hows and whys of making a skin so I am of some use at some future date. :)

Any tips on getting started, getting the basics of skinning the interface etc?

like the contrasting colour idea you followed, you need to continue it i think...... the top bar ( > DirectAdmin Home Logout) and the top bottom of the content section along with its border should all, i think should be continued with the blue :)

The menu text also looks 100% better :)

Chris

updated with rollover preview

Thanks for that suggestion. I have played with it, and I think you may be correct with the contrasting views for the 'bars'.

I've made those changes, as well as created a sample rollover. Most of it is still images, but the rollovers work (upper menu, normal menu)...

Feedback welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.mindlash.com/images/directadmin/layout002/layout_02_continuation-d_PREVIEW/

Thanks to everyone that's given pointers and encouragement.

I've found someone to begin coding this and future skins I develop.

I'll post here when development is complete, and testing is ready :)

Thanks,

Actually, I have a partner working on it now, as I give final slices to him ...

Will keep this thread updated.

.:. Mindalsh

Back