SpamBlocker2.1.1 released

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Note that SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 is a recommended update even for those of you have already installed SpamBlocker2.1.

SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 has been released. It offers a completely reworked and optimized set of blocklists, and a fix (which you may or may not already have on your server) to help with plaintext authorization when using certain email clients.

While SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 is not mandatory, it's strongly suggested, since it removes a nonworking blocklist and will fix authentication issues for some clients.

SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 requires the latest version of exim.pl.

SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 is currently only delivered for mbox-based systems. However the exim.conf.dovecot.patch file available dated 15-December-2005 WILL affect a conversion to Dovecot/Maildir, so be sure to use it to patch /etc/exim.conf if you're using SpamBlocker2.1.1 with a Maildir directory structure.

Remember that the SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 file you down load will not include your changes to point senders of emails detected as false positives to your whitelist page; be sure to search and replace for all instances of example.com before installing the file.

SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 may be found here:
Code:
http://files.directadmin.com/services/exim.conf
and also at:
Code:
http://www.nobaloney.net/downloads/spamblocker/DirectAdminSpamBlocker2/SpamBlocker.exim.conf.2.1.1-release
The latest exim.pl file may be gotten using one of these commands from the shell on your server:
Code:
wget http://files.directadmin.com/services/exim.pl
or:
Code:
wget http://www.nobaloney.net/downloads/spamblocker/DirectAdminSpamBlocker2/exim.pl
Note that if you download into the same directory where they already exist they'll be renamed with a .# extension where the # is replaced by a number. So you may have to mv or cp them onto the right filename.

Jeff

Seems to be working great, activated spamassassin and added clamav also with no problem so far. Test mails worked awesome.

Thanks

Jose

Glad to hear it's working. The update is now available for Maildir as well as for mbox; I've edited a paragraph above to read:

SpamBlocker version 2.1.1 is currently only delivered for mbox-based systems. However the exim.conf.dovecot.patch file available dated 15-December-2005 WILL affect a conversion to Dovecot/Maildir, so be sure to use it to patch /etc/exim.conf if you're using SpamBlocker2.1.1 with a Maildir directory structure.

Jeff

I am a new DA user and hear about this SpamBlocker for the first time, so I am confused for I understand nothing. Where can I learn more about SpamBlocker, how it works and how to install and manage it?

I am a new DA user and hear about this SpamBlocker for the first time, so I am confused for I understand nothing. Where can I learn more about SpamBlocker, how it works and how to install and manage it?
What tristan neglected to tell you was that SpamBlocker is included with DirectAdmin. You should still update to 2.2.1 unless you installed within the last day or so and already have it.

Jeff

about spam blocker

hi,

I did everything about spam blocker step by step, how to jlasman explain..But I dont know what did I wrong or what did I missing, cause my all emails totally blocked..some one can help me about configure please..

regards..

Did you follow the instructions concerning the files you were supposed to create? Did you check their ownership and permissions?

Are you incoming emails being blocked? Or emails you send out?

Do you see any errors in the /var/log/exim/mainlog file?

Jeff

ok im just confused here. i downloaded exim.conf, and exim.pl, placed them first in /etc...then figured that directadmin would likely have their own exim configuration files...so i looked in the directadmin directory and found the two files in question...i replaced those with the ones i had downloaded before, and restarted exim from the command line (and again from directadmin after the text emails failed to be blocked)...

its still not working. what am i missing here? id really love to get this working...

if it is of any help in getting this working, i am using exim 4.67 on a debian woody installation...the package is da_exim-4.67.deb

can someone help me figure this out please? it really love to get the spamhaus and other spam blocking resources working on my server...

Last edited:
I don't know where you got the files. I don't know what you copied over what.

So I really can't respond.

Where did you get those exim.conf and exim.pl files? The ones from the DirectAdmin website and the ones from my website, should be the same. And they should be the latest ones.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the spamblocker update. Been using it from day one :)

I have noticed that the spamblocker uses more sites to get the potential spamservers. No problem with that, but we in The Netherlands have one other problem. Major ISP's have decided to shut down port 25 and people at that ISP can only mail through the ISP's SMTP. Because of this many customers at that ISP mail through 5 or 6 email servers. Which means a lot of email through or better....from that server. If someone decides to put one of those servers on the blacklist (e.g. SpamCannibal) the majority of those people cannot email to the servers running Spamblocker on it. I know there is a whitelist.....but is that the only way? Also I have to wait and see if one of my clients cannot send email or maybe even recieve.

So a warning to the people out there....Spamblocker is great!! But sometimes too good....in this case.

You can ask your customers to use port 587, instead of 25. Then, using that port, they can send the mail directly through your server instead of your ISPs servers. Just a thought.

Glad to hear it's working. The update is now available for Maildir as well as for mbox; I've edited a paragraph above to read:

Jeff
Jeff or anyone that knows...

How do we apply the exim.conf.dovecot.patch file?

man patch is your friend. Use:
Code:
man patch
from your shell prompt for instructions.

Jeff

Hey,

In case someone needs this in the future:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache
patch -p0 < exim.conf.dovecot.patch

David

Back