SSMTP and/or listen to 587

existenz

Verified User
I have a ton of clients and the past few weeks we have had many qustomers complain that they can't send outgoing mail from their websites. It turns out that OptimumOnline is not blocking port 25 so they can't send email anymore. This is very fustrating for everyone, and it seems like a growing trend for cable and few dsl companies for home services.

Don't you folks think it would be great to either do ssmtp or listen on 587 as per this RFC

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2476.txt

Easy enough to do:

This, inserted near the top of exim.conf, will allow exim to listen on port 587:
Code:
daemon_smtp_ports = 25 : 587

This can be added to rcpt-time acl:
Code:
accept  hosts = +auth_relay_hosts
          condition = ${if eq {$interface_port}{587} {yes}{no}}
          endpass
          message = relay not permitted, authentication required
          authenticated = *
Note: I got these from the exim-users mailing list and have not had time to test them.

They should be tested on a testbed system first.

Jeff

Don't you think a option should be included in the control panel with a check box to bind the service to port 587?

With many ISP's blocking SMTP either option (alt port 587 or ssmtp) is going to be important for customers who want to use only one SMTP server. The argument is always that they could swap between the ISP's smtp server and their own while traveling but that is not always a option.

existenz said:
Don't you think a option should be included in the control panel with a check box to bind the service to port 587?
I think it would be great...

if it could be easily implemented.

But it can't.

Once you start managing exim.conf dynamically through DA you have to manage all of it dynamically through DA.

Many of us have our own custom changes in the exim.conf file. And if DA managed exim.conf for us it would be a lot harder for us to use a nonstandard exim.conf file.

My gut feeling is that I like the added flexibility I get by being able to edit the file to get the changes I want.

(For example not the changes you can make to httpd.conf file through DA are actually quite limited.)

Jeff

Back