Stay Away From Direct Admin (Worst Support I've Experienced)

Carl

Long story short:

Code:
I activated a Trial Licence.
came across some issues with MariaDB not working.
Asked for support via ticket.
Was told that I needed to purchase a Paid Licence in order for them to help me.
I purchased a Licence and again asked for help.
I was provided step by step instructions (Each step was just a link to their docs) to installing OpenLiteSpeed & Switching from MYSQL to MariaDB.
I followed each step and one by one I got errors. I reported said errors in the support ticket for OpenLiteSpeed and waited a long time for a reply. No reply came.
I then moved on to the next step (MariaDB) and again I had the exact same error I had when I tried following the same guide the first time around when I had the Trial Licence. I of course knew this would happen but now that I have a Paid Licence as I was told I would receive the support needed to fix the issue as again I was using Direct Admin and their systems in order to get MariaDB installed & set, guess what I waited another long period of time without any reply to my help request.

I should mention that these tickets & replies are all submitted on a Monday after 9AM (Working Hours).
There is simply no excuse to ignore me and the issues I am experiencing using Direct Admin.

I do have a YouTube Community in addition to being part of a large hosting group on Reddit & Facebook (400k+ members) so I will be publishing this to those groups too in addition to producing a Review Video. I feel it's important for people to see the quality of support provided here for Paid Members.

FYI: I was also advised that I would receive a FULL Refund if during 30 days I was unhappy with the support provided (Prior to purchasing the licence). I have submitted my request for a full refund @ 10:30am 3/28/2022 & again no reply has been made. I have already reached out to my PayPal Business Assigned Rep and apprised them of the situation. It's not the value of money but rather the principle. I have been assured any dispute will result in a guaranteed successful outcome for me in addition to a refund dispute fee being applied to DirectAdmin.

Note: This entire ticket has been recorded for YouTube and if it's deleted or in any way made invisible that will also be reflected in the Review.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.png
    2.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 73
Unfortunately, this is the new Directadmin, more money and less customer service, pissing on customers who have been with them for years, rising cost of licenses to theoretically develop more and everything they bring out new (poorly developed and with failures), which we have been requesting for years, you have to pay more for it. For them we are just numbers to enlarge their client portfolio and be bought by Oakley Capital, as they already did with Plesk and Cpanel. I would not recommend this panel to my worst enemy.

This is too funny, @Carl why would you think anyone would delete your post? The way I read it, you're being totally unreasonable and the post actually helps DA. That's too funny, and I thought I was high maintenance.

If you spent half the time working on your server that you did on this post, the problem would be solved by now. Even I managed to figure out how to set up DA on the first go. Did you ask anyone on this forum for help too? People like @Richard G and @bdacus01 help people all the time. When I was a CPanel customer, my first stop was always their forum before opening a ticket. And I have to admit, the responsiveness of DA is pretty much on par with CPanel.

This is too funny, @Carl why would you think anyone would delete your post? The way I read it, you're being totally unreasonable and the post actually helps DA. That's too funny, and I thought I was high maintenance.

If you spent half the time working on your server that you did on this post, the problem would be solved by now. Even I managed to figure out how to set up DA on the first go. Did you ask anyone on this forum for help too? People like @Richard G and @bdacus01 help people all the time. When I was a CPanel customer, my first stop was always their forum before opening a ticket. And I have to admit, the responsiveness of DA is pretty much on par with CPanel.

Those are fair comments and I too would react the same way, however, context is everything.

1. I spent 3 solid days trying to get DA to work correctly. The actual install itself was a breeze however configuring it was a nightmare.
2. MariaDB would not operate (Tried several times) and even the DC techs tried and could not get it to work with DA yet cPanel 0 issues.
3. OpenLiteSpeed errors appeared upon the first install and a reboot did not fix the issue (Again using DA's official guides).
4. Yes, I spent 3 days reading everything I could find on the forums, I also tried YouTube and Reddit for information sources.
5. I did not request help from the forum, I was informed via a ticket that supports for exactly this issue would be provided. It was not.

"why would you think anyone would delete your post?"
I would think this was obvious but I guess perhaps not. Simply put (Public Perception & Sales). Bad Press = Negative Sales & Growth.
I am all about being transparent, open & fair with everyone and every business I interact with, I believe in freedom of speech and the right for my legitimate review & feedback to be seen. If people wish to act upon what they have read that is their decision and rightfully so.

I have since decided to purchase a full cPanel & WHM licence, within 30 minutes cPanel staff had the cPanel software installed along with MariaDB and OpenLiteSpeed. All with 0 errors and all smooth. I simply provided my login info and they did it all for me. Additionally, they followed up with the exact steps they followed to do all of this should I wish to repeat it in the future, now that is what I call support and all this was just 30 minutes before their Office Hours Closed & all on a trial licence at first (I am now on a full $54.00 p/m licence and I paid 1 year in advance as I was so impressed with their support & onboarding experience).

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I was also informed that my requests were simple, not very hard and any semi-Linux oriented person could have easily fixed the errors I had with DirectAdmin. Of course, this was their own opinion and 1 opinion does not make it fact but it certainly speaks volumes when you see that same person completing the installations without a single error or mistake.

I won't be following this thread now, but I just thought it would be a good idea to provide a quick follow-up for anyone who experiences the same as me in the future. I would simply recommend cPanel all day every day and twice on Sunday's!

Yeah, well it's really too bad you gave up on DA so quickly. I was a long time CPanel / WHM user and when I was thinking about spinning up a new server, I put a lot of thought into the panel. I looked at all the opensource (meaning free) panels and none of them were really all that friendly for someone coming from CPanel / WHM. I first tried CyberPanel and wow, were my eyes opened. Nothing works as designed, I am not sure how anyone uses that panel.

Then I was back to CPanel and DA. I wanted to squeeze as much as I could out of my server, so OpenLiteSpeed was a plus for DA. I also saw all the moaning about databases at CPanel, and I noticed how DA pushes out new versions of mariadb and php within days of their release. Finally, I also wanted something that supported CSF, which again DA and CPanel had add-ins for.

Again, it's really too bad you gave up on DA so quickly. With the combination of OpenLiteSpeed and Redis the server is very fast. Curious how they got OpenLiteSpeed working on your server, pretty sure that's not supported.
I have since decided to purchase a full cPanel & WHM licence, within 30 minutes cPanel staff had the cPanel software installed along with MariaDB and OpenLiteSpeed.

You can get LiteSpeed installed, but you're limited to one domain per server - so I hope you don't plan to run more than domain on your server. They've been discussing this for over two years now.

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/openlitespeed-as-drop-in-for-apache

Yeah, well it's really too bad you gave up on DA so quickly. I was a long time CPanel / WHM user and when I was thinking about spinning up a new server, I put a lot of thought into the panel. I looked at all the opensource (meaning free) panels and none of them were really all that friendly for someone coming from CPanel / WHM. I first tried CyberPanel and wow, were my eyes opened. Nothing works as designed, I am not sure how anyone uses that panel.

Then I was back to CPanel and DA. I wanted to squeeze as much as I could out of my server, so OpenLiteSpeed was a plus for DA. I also saw all the moaning about databases at CPanel, and I noticed how DA pushes out new versions of mariadb and php within days of their release. Finally, I also wanted something that supported CSF, which again DA and CPanel had add-ins for.

Again, it's really too bad you gave up on DA so quickly. With the combination of OpenLiteSpeed and Redis the server is very fast. Curious how they got OpenLiteSpeed working on your server, pretty sure that's not supported.

You can get LiteSpeed installed, but you're limited to one domain per server - so I hope you don't plan to run more than domain on your server. They've been discussing this for over two years now.

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/openlitespeed-as-drop-in-for-apache

I am so very sorry I misspoke. I have had OpenLiteSpeed and MariaDB + Redis PHP Extention on the mind and I have been writing & speaking about OpenLiteSpeed for the past several days.

Let me be very clear and correct my mistake:

cPanel Support when onboarding me initially installed LiteSpeed Web Server "Free Starter" however after they realized my machine had 64GB RAM they advised me to purchase the "Site Owner Plus" plan direct from the developer as I will be initially only hosting 3 - 5 websites (my main company website + project / new company sites). I was also advised that they offer a nice deal through them where you get a plan named "Unlimited" which is similar to the "Web Host Professional" with the exception that going through cPanel you pay $1 less and you get 1 Extra Worker Process. I will definitely be buying this licence through cPanel when I need to upgrade but for now, I am happy to pay for the "Site Owner Plus" plan. This is the only product I will be paying for on a monthly basis, whereas everything else is purchased on a yearly basis in advance.

Again I am very sorry for the confusion.

Just to inform you about some things, since you're starting to be more reasonable. But I probably will be gone from this discussion afterwards.

However, I have my doubts if you also put this reasonability on your reddit and YT comments, or correct things. Because you clearly made some invalid complaints.
  • DA comes with a free installation service starting with the Lite subscribtion. Were you aware of that?
  • DA never has issues with giving a refund, just don't expect it within hours or the same day you ask for it. Can happen, not always. And this is really not only the case with DA but with most company's out there.
  • Yes cPanel has better support. But if you want Ferrari service, you pay for Ferrari service. DA gives Mercedes service, so that is cheaper. To keep things payable for everybody, yes, it can take a bit longer to get support. But it's improving lately.
    But as said.... Ferrari service is only available at Ferrari, so if you want responses within hours you're at the wrong panel anyway and don't go over to Plesk, because that is also not Ferrari. In spite that fact, I had DA answering fairly regularly the same day. Depends on importance too. Somebody testing DA is by far not as important as a live server with customers having an issue.
    3 days is long, but you stated on the 28th, same day as posting here, that you had a payed license, so you did get an answer before that you needed a payed license, and you did not wait 3 days after posting your errors, which are also dated the 28th. So that 3 day waiting complaint is also invalid if you are being fair.
  • I read a lot of complaints from you, but then again it seems you want to sit on the first row for a dime. With 2 or 3 sites, you probably did not get the Lite service with free installation, or did you? This is my assumption due to the CP subscribtion you're pointing to.
    If you -did- get Lite or better, why didn't you ask for the free install?
  • As for trial and Lite licenses, it does clearly say on the website this only has community support. So your complaint about that you did not get support from ticket support is invalid as far as trial and personal license go.
  • As Billy said, in neither case you made 0 effort to get support on the community forums, where by the way, also some people from DA wander around and help around here. Not yet a lot as before, but it's getting more again since it's getting more quiet now with all the former cPanel customer requests. So you also took yourself little "risk" of being helped.

Edit: P.s. Be aware that cP was force to create new cheaper subscribtions for small customers, like the one you're pointing to after loads of there customers came running to DA after the sudden price raise. And because DA was the first ever panel creating something like their personal license which is great for hobbyists, devs and starters.

Last edited:
"However, I have my doubts if you also put this reasonability on your reddit and YT comments, or correct things. "
Again I am 100% open & transparent, all of this is being published along with unedited videos.

"DA comes with a free installation service starting with the Lite subscription. Were you aware of that?"
Yes, In fact it was the first thing I asked for, they declined and simply offered a link to how to install it.

"Yes cPanel has better support. But if you want Ferrari service, you pay for Ferrari service. DA gives Mercedes service, so that is cheaper."
I quickly learnt this yes and I feel moving to cPanel was the best choice I made. I did give DA a try but the support offered was just not right for me.

"and don't go over to Plesk, because that is also not Ferrari."
I have used Plesk with Vultr and found the panel easy "ish" to use and never needed to contact support regarding using the panel.

"So that 3 day waiting complaint is also invalid if you are being fair."
The 3 day complaint is more geared towards being unable to get the control panel to operate the way it's advertised via their docs etc. my support experience also started during that 3 day period.

"you probably did not get the Lite service with free installation, or did you"
I did and I can provide evidence of the Invoice & Payment Transaction Screenshot/Video if you like? or will you take my word for it :)

"why didn't you ask for the free install?"
I actually did and can provide evidence if requested.

"As for trial and Lite licenses, it does clearly say on the website this only has community support. So your complaint that you did not get support from ticket support is invalid as far as trial and personal license go."

I upgraded to paid upon being informed about the lack of official support, I upgraded as soon as they replied to my first ticket. The issues occurred AFTER I upgraded & I can provide evidence again if you don't believe me.

-

I understand that you are one of DA's best spokespeople and brand ambassadors but please know that not everyone's experience with onboarding is the same. I am sure others out there had a wonderful experience and I am so happy for them and congratulate DA for that, it's just a shame the same quality of care and attention was not afforded to me.

Yes, In fact it was the first thing I asked for, they declined and simply offered a link to how to install it.
In that case I'm curious in the way they declined. Or was it just that they said you can easily do this yourself and point to the link? Which is not really declining because you can then point out that they offer it and you rather make use of that offered service.
I don't need proove, I believe you, I'm just curious to exactly what their answer was. Because "declined" is a heavy word.

"and don't go over to Plesk, because that is also not Ferrari."
I have used Plesk with Vultr and found the panel easy "ish" to use and never needed to contact support regarding using the panel.
Well I did and I can tell you it's the same. However, on DA in the beginning I also did not need to contact support, for the same reason as you with Plesk. Lots of users install here new, but it can always happen, independend on the brand of panel, that some issues will occur. Even with CP which I updated 2 days ago and now presented with an issue which just should be fixed in this version, which isn't... also 2 days on the forums, not fixed yet. ;) It's not that big a thing, but I'm just saying.

The 3 day complaint is more geared towards being unable to get the control panel to operate the way it's advertised via their docs etc. my support experience also started during that 3 day period.
I presume you understand that I can't agree with this as the first 2 days you were asking ticket support on something which is clearly stated there is no support for via the ticket system. And again, you did not ask support on the forums, which also might have shortened that period.

As for the license, I don't need proove, I was just asking so I believe you afterwards bought the Lite (or better) license.

I upgraded to paid upon being informed about the lack of official support, I upgraded as soon as they replied to my first ticket. The issues occurred AFTER I upgraded & I can provide evidence again if you don't believe me.
From the screenshots you posted here, it clearly states a thank you and you mentioning you now installed DA using a new paid license. And then you installed things via the docs and then a piece of log, which says march 28th. So to me that says you paid the license the 28th.
However, having that said, I won't deny that it sometimes can take 2-3 days to get a ticket answer, DA is very busy, maybe sometimes too busy.
For them, it's a wager between trying to improve this service, or hire even more people also meaning it will get more expensive. And since most customers don't have big issues with the panel, there are not that much complaints.

Thank you for the compliment by the way. I also try to understand why and which problems there are. Reason for my first reply to maybe be a bit blunt, because we really had some people here, first or second post, almost no real knowledge, complaining, and wanting to sit for almost free on the first row. That won't work. The more you pay, the more you get.

Unfortunately, you don't know what came over us here, when cP raised their prices suddenly end 2019. It cause major efforts and changes by DA by the real flood of users which also had (and still has, but it's improving) a negative effect on support. I think most of us can agree on that.

The after effects of this are still being felt, and really mostly also because there are so many ex CP admins, which are in fact wannebe admins, only know click and play. You don't wanne know which simple questions the ticket support is flooded by sometimes, really.... I would be ashamed calling myself an admin asking such questions and some even not knowing how to get into SSH or how to do things there (on real licenses, not the personal license).

Having that said, this still has a negative side effect on also experienced others with issues, and new customers trying and starting which also have to wait.
So it's really pity that you and some others, just wandered in during that time (or maybe a new ticket peak time) and had to experience this lesser quickness and quality.

there are so many ex CP admins, which are in fact wannebe admins,
Just to be clear, there are ofcourse exceptions to the rule, there are also a lot with the knowledge, I don't want to give the wrong impression and just seen that this might just do that, so hence this explanation.

and @bdacus01 help people all the time.
Thanks I do try..

This post (and others) just proves DA isn't for everyone and that is ok. Like I said here https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/a-year-with-directadmin.62289/post-321210
Not for faint of heart: Not a sysadmin? Don’t know what Linux or FreeBSD is? Can’t research on google at the very least? In short, if you are a “Business Person” just opening a web hosting business hire a sysadmin. Can’t afford one. Not for you… move on. Sorry if that’s harsh but sometimes the truth hurts. This is still true.

I am glad they figured it out for themselves. Research on choosing anything is important. The thing is there are lots of people using the system and it works. It is a non issue for them. Some like Ford cars and some don't. I love Chinese food and my dad hated it. Its just how life works.

As far as support it is what it is. Could it be better for sure. That is a company issue not a me issue. I have maybe made 3 request in 4 years. I have the best support in the world right here on this forum. They are real people Dutch, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Russian, German, and American just to name a few.. (see I even got Ukrainian and Russian in the same sentence.. and I am American..)

Is there room for improvement in DA always. We are all human and all have room for improvement.

I've been hosting websites since the ISDN and T1 days. With that said, I feel like I have a fairly authoritative voice on matters related to hosting technology, especially software.

DirectAdmin has been successfully powering web servers since 2003. That's almost two decades worth of customers.

Nobody is waiting for "Carl New Member" to update them on a gigantic DirectAdmin oversight. The simple fact you put a space between "Direct" and "Admin" in the post's topic shows me that you aren't paying attention to details. That's okay, servers are complex.

You're having a server-related issue that may not even be related to DirectAdmin. You've spent more time talking up your internet clout, social websites, and showing "people" the quality of support. You need to contact your server administrator. I have dozens of servers running the same thing you are, zero issues. I even migrated some out of cPanel (other hosting software) "back in the day" when it wasn't as easy, and zero issues.

When I upgraded the radio in my Lexus to CarPlay, I didn't expect Apple to help me troubleshoot why my tire is flat. I need to know that my vehicle is 100% before I blame another company for my problems.

If DirectAdmin was broken or scamming anyone, we would know way before you. This company, and a lot of these forum members replying above, are also long-time users, and server administrators themselves. Don't point fingers at Microsoft when you forgot to put batteries in the mouse.

Your tone is not conductive to the desired environment. If you phrased this differently and changed your attitude, please post in a specific DA-topic forum (not offtopic) and maybe someone can help you with your server woes. And please, it's "DirectAdmin."

You didn't actually answer this fully, you said I set my options... but didn't say WHICH OPTIONS?

Code:
# /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf

If all options are set the way you want you hit

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build all d

You can ignore the rest. That's all there is to it.

My goodness what a bunch of fringe weirdos. I've been using DirectAdmin probably longer than most of you, I don't see many of the edit:usual people I used to see commenting on this board who were very helpful in the past, they are probably retired and on a beach somewhere. Now it seems like a lot of damage control from a company falling apart at the seams who won't even answer questions, yes, completely ignores customer questions. Something happened to DirectAdmin's quality of support and sales. I've been trying for 4 days now to get a complete A-Z installation instruct. The CTO and CEO of my major data center can't even understand the DirectAdmin documentation... I've installed DirectAdmin many times myself, but I want to know I am doing it 100% correctly since a lot has changed since the last time I installed a new server. My latest tech support response told me it doesn't need instructions or configuration because DirectAdmin is magically automatically ready out of the box... LOL.

This is really embarrassing for DirectAdmin that they seem to have hired tech support who refuse to answer quesetions, don't actually fully comprehend written English, and do not actually know how to install DirectAdmin correctly to the "T". I've seen this before with outsourced tech support where the overseas companies fake it the whole time, not actually knowing what they are doing.

I only run DirectAdmin because they don't charge a per domain fee like cPanel. The CEO and CTO of my data center can't understand why I insist on running it. I also like FreeBSD over Linux. But that's just because it's better.

Here's my latest charade claiming to be DirectAdmin tech support.
####################################################

Hello,

Before running deeper into this:
DA install already installs everything you need with all the recommended settings and software.
php, web service, dns service, mail related services and what not.
You do NOT need to configure or change anything else to host a website.
Just browse a little the panel, everything should be pretty intuitive.

>Question #1)
>
>What does this code do specifically in detail (which options does it set)?

If you set to php-fpm - it sets to php-fpm, if you do not set to php-fpm - it stays whenever it was.

> Do I have to execute this line in order to install DirectAdmin, or can I omit it completely?

If you do not want to change that setting, you can skip execution of it.

> What happens if I never execute it?

If you do not execute some command - it stays what ever it was

> If I executed it already how do I undo that?

Set it to a value that was before.

> If I don't want fastcgi and want php-fpm then why do I run this code?

We haven't forced you to do that, or have we?

> (note there are 5 sub-questions here, each time there is a question mark that means it's a question that requires an answer)

Noted.

>Question #2)
>

If you set to php-fpm - it sets to php-fpm, if you do not set to php-fpm - it stays whenever it was.

> Do I have to execute this line in order to install DirectAdmin, or can I omit it completely?

> (note there are 5 sub-questions here, each time there is a question mark that means it's a question that requires an answer)

Noted.

>Question #3)
>

Noted.

>Question #4)
>

Noted.

>Question #5)
>
>I already asked twice what are the basic advantages and disadvantages of mariadb and mysql? Just answer what's the biggest 3 reasons to have mariadb and what's the biggest 3 reasons not to have it? And answer what's the biggest 3 reasons to have mysql and the biggest 3 reasons not to have it? (Note: this requires 4 answers)

They are practically the same, product from different devs.
If you have a question why you need to choose one or another - you won't be using this too deep to see any difference there at all.

>Question #6)
>
>Is there a complete step by step guide to installing DirectAdmin (on one single web page) in the default configuration with apache/php-fpm/mysql? Can you post the link to it? (note: this is a yes/no question)
>
>I'm looking for something like this.
>
>1) do this exactly
>2) do this exactly

Actually It's even better:

Enter your license code there and you'll get the oneliner that installs everything - the recommended database, recommended mode, apache as web service and all the stuff required for managing dns, mail and so on.
You do not need to do anything more except login to DA and start using it.

>x) successfully installed and configured DirectAdmin
>
>There used to be a guide like this but now it seems to not exist. The instructions/guide only shows the 1st steps, but not the complete process anymore. I've been using DirectAdmin for almost 20 years now. So I'm not new to this.

At the moment there are no guide on what and where to click, only more advanced stuff that is harder to understand using common sense.
Everything should be pretty intuitive after logging in.

>Question #8)
>
>What versions of mysql/mariadb/php does DirectAdmin recommend installing in 2022 April if the customer wants to host Wordpress websites?
>
>Note: I do not want multiple versions of php or any software to be available, just one version at a time.

No need to execute anything additionally. It should work out of the box. All the recommended versions and values are already there.

>9) If you answered no to question 6 or 7, can you tell me the exact step by step things to type into the terminal to complete the installation process and configuration process [(apache/php-fpm/(mariadb and mysql)] if I am paused BEFORE step 3-3 Set up proper nameservers. under "first steps" here: https://docs.directadmin.com/getting-
>started/first-steps/overview.html
>
>This means I am in the middle of completing step 3-2 Select your WWW server. But that page (https://docs.directadmin.com/custom...hat-webservers-could-be-used-with-directadmin) completely lacks clear instructions, even the CEO of my data center doesn't understand what to do...

You do NOT need to do anything additionally to use the server.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You said:

Before running deeper into this:
DA install already installs everything you need with all the recommended settings and software.
php, web service, dns service, mail related services and what not.
You do NOT need to configure or change anything else to host a website.
Just browse a little the panel, everything should be pretty intuitive.

##################################

Apparently that's not true. (see attached screenshots)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You said:

No, but it's listed as part of the installation instructions here:

and here:

You didn't answer Questions 1-4. You said:

If you set to php-fpm - it sets to php-fpm, if you do not set to php-fpm - it stays whenever it was. YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

If you do not want to change that setting, you can skip execution of it. YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

If you do not execute some command - it stays what ever it was YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Set it to a value that was before. YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

We haven't forced you to do that, or have we? YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Noted.

I didn't ask about php-fpm in questions 1-4. I asked about these lines of code from the installation instructions. So you're saying that I can skip the installation steps? No... you can see from the attached screenshot that most of "DirectAdmin" is not installed. You didn't answer my question... you said "I can skip it"... that's not the question, seems you don't understand English fully... I asked what happens if you skip part of the installation steps listed here:

./build php1_mode fastcgi
./build php2_mode fastcgi
./build php3_mode fastcgi
./build php4_mode fastcgi

You said "that setting"... WHICH SETTING ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I didn't ask about a setting, I asked about a line of code from the installation steps from your installation instructions on your website. YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

You said "If you do not execute some command - it stays what ever it was" ... I DID NOT ask about "some command" I asked specifically about these lines of code from your installation instructions. YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Then you said "Set it to a value that was before." What values are you talking about? I asked about lines from the instructions on your website. What do those lines of code do? <--- answer the question please

Then, again, you said "We haven't forced you to do that, or have we?" WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You didn't force anyone to do anything but THESE ARE YOUR INSTRUCTIONS LISTED ON YOUR WEBSITE!

It's clear you either don't understand English fully, or you don't understand how to install DirectAdmin, or a combination of both. This is so embarrassing for DirectAdmin.

####################################
>Question #5)
>
>I already asked twice what are the basic advantages and disadvantages of mariadb and mysql? Just answer what's the biggest 3 reasons to have mariadb and what's the biggest 3 reasons not to have it? And answer what's the biggest 3 reasons to have mysql and the biggest 3 reasons not to have it? (Note: this requires 4 answers)

They are practically the same, product from different devs.
If you have a question why you need to choose one or another - you won't be using this too deep to see any difference there at all.

You didn't answer the questions.

I already asked twice what are the basic advantages and disadvantages of mariadb and mysql? Just answer what's the biggest 3 reasons to have mariadb and what's the biggest 3 reasons not to have it? And answer what's the biggest 3 reasons to have mysql and the biggest 3 reasons not to have it? (Note: this requires 4 answers)

>Question #6)
>
>Is there a complete step by step guide to installing DirectAdmin (on one single web page) in the default configuration with apache/php-fpm/mysql? Can you post the link to it? (note: this is a yes/no question)
>
>I'm looking for something like this.
>
>1) do this exactly
>2) do this exactly

Actually It's even better:

Enter your license code there and you'll get the oneliner that installs everything - the recommended database, recommended mode, apache as web service and all the stuff required for managing dns, mail and so on.
You do not need to do anything more except login to DA and start using it.

This is not true. You also have "First Steps" Here:

If you don't do this then you have no functioning DirectAdmin (see attached screenshot.)

2. Secure your server
Security does matter!

If you did not customize the installation, you are already secured with a firewall as it installs the CSF firewall and activates the Brute Force Manager right after installation.

If not, you should install the CSF firewall.

Secure and harden your server. The guide contains a few more steps, and the most valuable are:

Enable disable_functions auto-fill with secure_php
Configure auto-update for used software
Install mod_security
Enforce using difficult passwords by users
Enable LetsEncrypt for the hostname, which also enables it for webmails and the DirectAdmin panel
#3. Configure your server
Customize a skin - perform branding to make your server your own.

Select your WWW server.

Set up proper nameservers.

Use clients' assigned IPs for their domains to send from when sending mail.

Enable backups for both the system and users.

Enable BubbleWrap jail for users (CentOS 7 required).

Consider using CloudLinux for better stability, security, and per-account resource management.

>x) successfully installed and configured DirectAdmin
>
>There used to be a guide like this but now it seems to not exist. The instructions/guide only shows the 1st steps, but not the complete process anymore. I've been using DirectAdmin for almost 20 years now. So I'm not new to this.

At the moment there are no guide on what and where to click, only more advanced stuff that is harder to understand using common sense.
Everything should be pretty intuitive after logging in.

So there is no installation guide. I didn't think so. It's not intuitive. Even the CEO and CTO of my large data center did not understand your documentation. I don't understand it and many people on your forum do not understand it.

Like I said, I've installed DirectAdmin before, I know what to do, I just want to make sure I'm doing it exactly correctly and according to the recommended instructions. But it seems there are no COMPLETE instructions.

There is no "advanced stuff", this is all very basic stuff, it's just difficult to get an answer from DirectAdmin or to find the instructions. Even if you did something 100 times before, if you don't do it every day you need the instructions. (And you don't have a complete set of instructions.)

How can a professional company not have instructions? That's crazy.

>Question #8)
>
>What versions of mysql/mariadb/php does DirectAdmin recommend installing in 2022 April if the customer wants to host Wordpress websites?
>
>Note: I do not want multiple versions of php or any software to be available, just one version at a time.

No need to execute anything additionally. It should work out of the box. All the recommended versions and values are already there.

This is 100% not true, as you can see from your own incomplete installation guide... It says to choose a WWW Server, but then does not fully explain how to do that correctly... your installation guide is incomplete and confusing and contradictory and leaves out required steps... according to you my server should be working, but it does not work, there is no php, no apache, no database, no send mail server, no receive mail server, no ftp server, etc...

So why do you keep saying things that are not true according to your own documentation, listed below?

>9) If you answered no to question 6 or 7, can you tell me the exact step by step things to type into the terminal to complete the installation process and configuration process [(apache/php-fpm/(mariadb and mysql)] if I am paused BEFORE step 3-3 Set up proper nameservers. under "first steps" here: https://docs.directadmin.com/getting-
>started/first-steps/overview.html
>
>This means I am in the middle of completing step 3-2 Select your WWW server. But that page (https://docs.directadmin.com/custom...hat-webservers-could-be-used-with-directadmin) completely lacks clear instructions, even the CEO of my data center doesn't understand what to do...

You do NOT need to do anything additionally to use the server.

This is now the 4th day almost 5th day of contacting sales and support at DirectAdmin trying to install DirectAdmin because DirectAdmin locked me out of my own server control panel that I bought a lifetime license and a monthly license and have been using for almost 20 years...

I can't get a single answer from support or sales except, use CloudLinux and it should just work magically. LOL.

To summarize, you did not answer these important questions:

1)

What do these lines of code do from the instructions on how to install the web server? They seem to have something to do with fastcgi, but I don't want to install or use fastcgi on my server...

2) What are the step by step instructions to install DirectAdmin on a new server with these two custom configuration scenarios (possible ways to configure the server, I will decide on which I will do later) listed below, because I have to do that now because I am changing from AlmaLinux to CloudLinux OS, I need two sets of numbered instruction steps from 1 to the completed server with apache/php-fpm/mysql and a second set with a server with apache/php-fpm/mariadb. I need to know what to type exactly for each step of the installation so I can be 100% certain I am installing DirectAdmin correctly. If you don't have these instructions, now is the time to create them.

3) What are the recommend by DirectAdmin versions of apache, php, mysql, mariadb for hosting basic Wordpress websites for mom and pop companies like lawyers and realtors?

New question: my server isn't even fully functioning and it's only been online for 4-5 days and it's already got over 500 warning messages that I'm being attacked with bruteforce attacks and other warnings like httpd (the web server) is down... Is this normal? (see attached screenshot)

@questions as someone that has been managing DirectAdmin servers since 2005 (and started out running it on FreeBSD, now on Debian) it has become remarkably simple to install anymore (if it was let to run the install with the defaults it should be pretty secure and ready for most applications). It does require some basic sysadmin understanding, and reading though the documentation to customize it (which is very clear in my opinion, but does require knowledge of how a BSD/Linux/email/SQL systems work for best results). From what I see you need to hire an experienced sysadmin to optimize/customize your system. And to possibly fix anything that's been miss-configured since install, they can then possibly help teach you all the questions you have been asking.

** Most users on this forum do not work for DirectAdmin, those that reply are trying to be helpful. Understand that English may not be everyone's primary language here and to have patience. If you annoy everyone no one will help you.

** Brute force messages have been there for a long time, they can be disabled. Your server is on the internet, SSH brute force attacks are non stop, at least the server is letting you know it's happening. Make sure you have strong/long passwords.

** Just some feedback/comment/rant from an annoyed observer, watching all your messages go by. I won't be saying anything else and will not reply.

If you spent half as much time reading than you do plastering rants all over this forum, you'd be up and running three days ago. Do you really think calling people on this forum names will help your cause?
My goodness what a bunch of fringe weirdos.
I should have stopped reading your rants when you were arguing what mainstream meant. For some reason you think it means majority. Does that mean macOS isn't mainstream because there are more Windows PCs? More companies run MySQL because it's been around much longer than MariaDB. You look at like five companies and think you've developed some kind of statistically meaningful conclusion. BTW - MariaDB is still the default database for CPanel, GoDaddy uses CPanel so they actually do offer it. Don't believe me, do some reading and stop ranting.

I'm blocking you, good luck finding help. You may not have pissed someone off yet.

My goodness what a bunch of fringe weirdos. I've been using DirectAdmin probably longer than most of you,
And then you're asking what the ./build scripts is doing? Something which is there from even before you became a member here? LoL.
Not even the rest of the questions you asked and then also should know already, demanding a line by line instruction, a-z? With the experience you should be having? And while it's stated in the docs too?
Who's a weirdo now.
Ah yes that's true... I wouldn't reply to you anymore.

I just solved the installation problem, but I had to stop my vacation and do the install myself because the certified linux system admin at my major data center put the license ID instead of the license key in the install command... I then made the same mistake...

I emailed sales and opened a support ticket at DirectAdmin and copy/pasted the terminal window transcript...

Tech support was unable to solve the problem, but sales solved it.

This confirms my earlier conclusion that this tech support company doesn't actually know much about DirectAdmin except what you can lookup on the website. I asked them some very specific questions about a week ago and just got B.S. fake answers... then this happened where they had no idea I put the license ID instead of the license key, when it was shown right there on the screen...

Please, DirectAdmin, get a new tech support company that actually knows something about DirectAdmin...

In the meantime I had to hire a system admin to write an installation instruction that was coherent so I could find where the problem was happening in the installation procedure because the install instructions on the website are not itemized and clear. This is probably because the installation happens in about 30 seconds once you type the install command, but it's been 20 years since I installed it last and I am on vacation and my datacenter doesn't support DirectAdmin, so I am having to do all the work that I pay others to do... just because of the lack of clarity in the documentation and poor DirectAdmin tech support.

Please, DirectAdmin, get a new tech support company that actually knows something about DirectAdmin...

but I had to stop my vacation and do the install myself because the certified linux system admin at my major data center put the license ID instead of the license key in the install command... I then made the same mistake...
Yeah it's very hard if your system admin and yourself make mistakes by not just looking better at the docs and then blaming DA support.
Good job dude.

Back