Stuff wit D.A.

Quincy

Verified User
Yo! Wuddup yall. Dis be Quincy. I had a question for ya. How do you make vhosts for an account? I know it's something to do with the reverse of your IP, but I don't fully understand. Can someone help me out? :confused:

I think you just create an A record and point it to your IP. Then create a PTR record for it and you should be all set to go.

Quincy said:
How do you make vhosts for an account?
Exactly what are you trying to do, Quincy?

You can create a site under the admin, reseller or user level.

If your copy of DirectAdmin has been set up properly it will create DNS records automatically for you at the nameservers specified.

(If you haven't set up domain servers with your registrar you may need to do that; you set up "hosts" or "nameservers" with the registrar who registered the domain where you want to have your nameservers. This is NOT the same as changing or assigning nameservers, which I've explained below.)

Then you need to contact the reistrar for the domain, and make sure they change the nameserers listed for the domain to the nameservers you've set up for your copy of DirectAdmin.

You should NOT set up reverse DNS records (ptr records) unless reverse DNS authority has been delegated to you by the company from whom you get your IP#s. If it has, then you should only have one reverse DNS (PTR) record per IP#.

Jeff

loopforever said:
I think you just create an A record and point it to your IP. Then create a PTR record for it and you should be all set to go.
If you read the relevant RFCs, you'll note that you should only have one reverse DNS (PTR) record for each IP#.

And you don't need to set them up at all unless your IP# provider has delegated authority for reverse DNS to you (and most don't). If they haven't delegated reverse DNS authority to you you just ask them to set it up for you and let them know which IP#s should resolve to which fqdn.

Because we do name-based hosting and we can only have one reverse DNS (PTR) record per IP#, we generally resolve them to the machine name (for example, my DirectAdmin is running on my machine "elijah.nobaloney.net". Right now that machine is at home and the reverse DNS is taken care of by SBC, who provides my DSL line.

When I put the machine into use as a hosting server, I'll set up a PTR record pointing the IP# we end up using to "elijah.nobaloney.net".

If I didn't have authority for my own DNS, I'd ask my IP# provider (generally the hosting company, colo-room provider, or bandwidth provider) to set it up for me.

Jeff

Making a vhost

All I'm trying to do is have it so when someone has an eggdrop on an IRC server it would have a unique host such as: eggdrop@=aerdfk.is.soo.cool. So if I wanted to make the vhost (irc.is.radical) for the IP 66.55.44.33, how would I do it?

I don't use IRC myself, but it seems that you'd just set up a domain on the DirectAdmin server, and then set up DNS for it as I explained.

Jeff

Webhosting

Ok let me ask this. I own the domain http://www.globechat.org. I'm trying to make the website for it. It looks as if DA provides webhosting abilities. When I try to go into FrontPage extentions, it says I need a pass. Is this my root pass, or my admin pass into DA or what? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while. And I also need to know if the Webhosting that it seems DA provides supports FTP.

For FrontPage, just use your control panel password to activate extensions and upload to your site.

As for your IRC request, DirectAdmin doesn't have a feature to create shell accounts like that. It would be something done manually by the server admin, if they chose to allow it.

Mark

FrontPage

It seems that when I type in the pass, it's still at that page. It's the right pass that I use to log into DA. Is there something wrong? :confused:

For IRC, just log in as root install it at the domain where you want it (eg irc.domain.com) set it up there and install it like normal, if you want you can chown the files to be owned by the site owner

Chris

Back