Subdomain vs Subfolder...

Andrax

Verified User
Ok, so I am poking around a bit and create several subdomains for my site via the DA Control Panel.

My question now is... how does DA know the difference between a subdomain and a subfolder??

When I FTP into my account now, i see the three subdomains that I created via the CP. But they are listed as subdomain1, subdomain2, subdomain3.

So... if I create a new folder via my FTP client (SmartFTP) will it be a subdomain? or a subdirectory?

On previous Ensim servers, subdomains were always "subdomain.domain.com" (for the folder name) and subdirectories were always just a folder named "directoryname"

If anyone can shed some light on this (asap) that would be outstanding. I would like to know what the deal is before I throw the DNS switch and move my live site :)

Andrax said:
My question now is... how does DA know the difference between a subdomain and a subfolder??

DirectAdmin is writing to the apache config files that the folder is the location for files on that subdomain. For example, if you create sub.example.com, it writes to the apahce configuration that it should look for sub.example.com's files in the public_html/sub/ directory. Without these modifications in the apache configuration, apache simply considers public_html/sub as www.example.com/sub/

So... if I create a new folder via my FTP client (SmartFTP) will it be a subdomain? or a subdirectory?

They will simply be a subdirectory. The act of making the folder is not what is making it a subdomain, it is DirectAdmin telling apache that "Hey, we made a subdomain called subdomain1 and you can find files for it in public_html/subdomain1". Without apache knowing that, it assumes subdomain1 is simply a subdirectory.

I would like to know what the deal is before I throw the DNS switch and move my live site :)

Good luck on your first experience with DirectAdmin. I know I am loving it :D

Hey there... thank you very much for your reply. Very detailed and much appreciated. ;)

Thanks.

Going to take a little getting used to I am sure. But I think that it will work out very well for both myself and my clients. Always hate re-learning the little tricks involved with getting familiar with a new Control Panel.

Back