suPHP doesn't seem to be working!

justahost

Verified User
Hi guys.

Installed suPHP via Custombuild and all went well so I thought.
I moved an account from an old server to the new server I have set up which included a Gallery install.

The main gallery directory was set to 755, but would not work until I set it to 777.

Of course, I don't want 777 permissions so could anyone suggest why suPHP hasn't kicked in to prevent this happening?

Cheers
RY

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
So, it's working :) You just don't know how to use it. It couldn't have 777 because it's very insecure. If you like to have an insecure server - just allow that in /usr/local/suphp/etc/suphp.conf. Good luck! If I didn't understand your problem correctly - check your .htaccess file.

justahost

Verified User
Sorry - its early on a SUnday morning so probably didn't write down what I meant!

I DO NOT want 777 as, like you say, its highly insecure so thats why I installed suPHP using ./build suphp.

What I wanted to know was:

I had no errors coming back from the build suphp command so thought everything was installed fine, but I think I may have forgotten a step as I can still set directories to 777 and suPHP doesn't give the 500 error I would of expected.

So, if anyone could give me a pointer at what to check to make sure suPHP is running properly and not allow 777 permissions I would be grateful!

Hope that makes it a bit clearer?!

Ry

EDIT: AFter you mentioned the conf file, I tool a look at /etc/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-suphp.conf and the file is empty if that matters!

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to do "./build suphp" :) It's just used to update it. "./build suphp" is run automatically together with "./build php n" (and you must do it when you set php5_cgi=yes in the options.conf). So, did you run "./build php n"?

justahost

Verified User
You don't need to do "./build suphp" :) It's just used to update it. "./build suphp" is run automatically together with "./build php n" (and you must do it when you set php5_cgi=yes in the options.conf). So, did you run "./build php n"?
You are a star.
I had forgotten to rebuild PHP!!

Thats the only trouble with the datacentre building DA - not 100% sure what they have done.

I did ask if they would let me install so I can use a checksheet but they went ahead and did it their on way!

Thanks again.

Happy to have a more secure server again!