Test Server License?

labrocca

Verified User
I'm having a lot of difficulty with a particular DA configuration (FreeBSD 10.1, Nginx_Apache (proxy setup), CB 2 and php-fpm).

I'm tired of my production server being an experiment. I was offline 3 hours yesterday because Nginx wouldn't build because OpenSSL was updated and for some reason incompatible. PHP-FPM won't upgrade to version 5.5 and I'm forced to currently run 5.4 which is EOL and no longer supported by PHP.

Being forced to buy a $300 license just for a test environment seems overkill.

I want to know if I can run a test server without needing to buy a full license.

PS. If i may suggest you something.. i would suggest to use CentOS instead of FreeBSD, i've started with FreeBSD than switchet to Debian and now to CentOS, and i must say that CentOS is the best choise for me (also because DA is made on CentOS and than ported on all other OS's)

Regards

I've been FreeBSD for 15 years though. I do have Debian and CentOS servers too. And yes, I have considered going to CentOS for production. But I would still like a test environment.

Would be very sad to ditch FreeBSD after all these years. :(

Maybe I'll get a trial license and see how it goes. I think I can fix my problems but it's too much pressure when it's on the production server.

If you're going to buy the $299 life-time license (it includes free installation), just open a ticket in ticekts.directadmin.com about the installation, and I'll do it for you :) (please add a note that the ticket should be forwarded to me) I'd just like you to know that FreeBSD 10.x is not officially supported by DA, so any issues with the updates might need further investigation.

I actually have 2 life-time licenses already. I've been using DA since 2006 so I don't need install help. Mainly interested in having a test environment and would be happy to report my bug fixes.

If I am left with no choice but to buy a 3rd license for my test environment then I suppose I'll have no other choice. As I said, I can't bug fix on this production server. It's causing too much downtime.

I ran my past servers before I moved to this new hardware for nearly 5 years with relatively few issues once it was setup. So far though this new setup is proving more difficult and I think that's because I'm running Nginx reverse proxy to apache and php-fpm which is a more complicated setup.

If I also had a test environment I'd be happy to grant support staff access to the server if requested to bug fix. As it is now I can't provide access to my production server due to privacy and security concerns.

Back