Timeout when trying to open email accounts page

Alexanderonline

Verified User
Hi,

I have a small problem. I get a timeout (Your connection has timed out..) page when i try to open my email accounts page in DA. Most users don't have this problem, but i get the timeout on my own account. My mailboxes have a size of ±2-3gb, maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks,

Alexander

ps i'm using the latest DA version

Hi,

I have a small problem. I get a timeout (Your connection has timed out..) page when i try to open my email accounts page in DA. Most users don't have this problem, but i get the timeout on my own account. My mailboxes have a size of ±2-3gb, maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks,

Alexander

Hi

had this trouble myself due to returned mail.

try logging in to da /file manager/maildir

when in that folder look to see where the 2-3 gig of mail is

eg...new....inboxspam...cur etc.

thats a few pages to delete so make a new folder of where the mail is and name it EG inboxspam1 then delete the folder and rename new folder by removing the 1

God thats a piss poor attempt to explain but thats how I do it if you have any probs just pm me

good luck hope this works

nellygb

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean.
I know why my mailbox is big. It's a bit from my spambox and the rest just my inbox. I have a big inbox ;) And i don't want get rid of it.
So i think it's a sort of bug that you can't view the Email Accounts page with a big mailbox.

Regards
Alexander

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean.
I know why my mailbox is big. It's a bit from my spambox and the rest just my inbox. I have a big inbox ;) And i don't want get rid of it.
So i think it's a sort of bug that you can't view the Email Accounts page with a big mailbox.

Regards
Alexander

Alexander
Jeese thats some big inbox you must be the most popular man on the planet or just plain forgetful.

I think you may be in trouble here unless you want to read all the mails which you can but you must have at least a thousand pages of either spam, current, new or temp messages.

I think you are going to have to be a bit ruthless and bite the bullet.

Try this as I know from past experience this may be a bug but is not unique to you. I have just tried to sign into an old email account which had 61meg of spam and inbox. Until I deleted all I could not log in but hey good look.

Log in to da click on email menu icon (top left) then email accounts icon (top left again). When you have the list of email accounts up just mouse over the tick box to the right of the account you are having trouble with. This will show you a break down of where the mail is (eg inbox or webmail).

If you want to keep your inbox mail try to delete all other using the radio buttons along the bottom of the table marked thus...Inbox....Imap folders...Spam Box. Choose wher you want to clear and hit empty.

As I mentioned earlier if you have a full in box I think you may need to be brave if you need this account again unless you revert back to opyion 1 and in the maildir folders open all text files read and delete but no one has that much spare time L.O.L

Best of ;0(

nellygb

Alexander
Jeese thats some big inbox you must be the most popular man on the planet or just plain forgetful.
Both, i guess :+

Log in to da click on email menu icon (top left) then email accounts icon (top left again). When you have the list of email accounts up just mouse over the tick box to the right of the account you are having trouble with. This will show you a break down of where the mail is (eg inbox or webmail).
But thanks again for your reply.
But that _is_ the problem. I can't do that. It think you misunderstood me. I have no problem at al with my mail account itself. I read my mail, with webmail, mailclients, no problem. But the problem is when i log in to DA, i go to email managment -> email accounts. Normally you get the list of mailaccounts, with radiobuttons, checkboxes etc., as you describe above. But i can't load that page beceause after a few seconds loading, it says connection timed out, etc. So what i think what is happening is that DA tries to calculate the size of my mailboxes. But they are 'big' , that takes too long so it times out (30 sec? default time out time? dunno).
So i was wondering, is this a known bug, is there a workaround, etc.

However, thanks for your ideas!

greetings Alexander

Last edited:
Are you the server administrator? If you are, have you converted to Dovecot? If you do then you may be able to see some email, but it'll take a long time to see your email, even after that.

Once you're converted to Dovecot you can create new folders (from squirrelmail, for example) and then (from a shell login) manually move (using the mv command) email to different subdirectories. After you've done that be sure to delete the dovecot index files (they'll be rewritten when you next login).

It's not going to be easy and it's going to be incredibly time-consuming. Many hours, if that. And you won't be able to use wildcards from the shell; you'll have to use some other method to move that many emails.

Not your server? Then talk to your hosting company and let them quote you by the hour or something.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply.
Are you the server administrator? If you are, have you converted to Dovecot? If you do then you may be able to see some email, but it'll take a long time to see your email, even after that.
Yes (but i have a account on my own server too ;) ). Yes.
Once you're converted to Dovecot you can create new folders (from squirrelmail, for example) and then (from a shell login) manually move (using the mv command) email to different subdirectories. After you've done that be sure to delete the dovecot index files (they'll be rewritten when you next login).

It's not going to be easy and it's going to be incredibly time-consuming. Many hours, if that. And you won't be able to use wildcards from the shell; you'll have to use some other method to move that many emails.
I don't understand why i should do that. Ok, maybe i can make an archive folder for my old mail. But why should i do it from shell (i understand how i should do it, as you describe), but i can also move my mail with my email client?
Maybe i can run the quotacheck more often, it's now scheduled at midnight (due to performance issues in the middle of the day...). But that's more a workaround. It think they have to redesign that page in the way that they get the values of the emailbox size from the last quotacheck. And then put there a button to recheck quota of that mailboxes of that account (and not execute that command directly but place it in the task queue).
I hope you all understand what i mean?
gr Alexander

Hi,

Thanks,

Alexander

Its absolutely absurd to have 2 or even 3gb of mail in your inbox. I could never work out why people store so much junk on a server. Of course you will have timouts. The system has to read all the junk messages before it can load. Why dont you clean shop?

Why is that absurd? Ofcourse, i throw my spam away (thanks to the spamfilter. ~50 spammails each day). But i keep other messages (Maybe i'm a bit lazy to sort everythin out, but it's nice if you want to search something, i have it all in my inbox). It's not hard to reach a gb big mailbox. Just use IMAP, don't throw a lot away ;) I have most of my mail since 2005.
edit: Let's see. Our hosting sales/info/tech/support boxes, ±4gb.
But as i said, i think i understand why the timeout occurs. But it shouldn't happen, the page should be loaded in another way. If the server is a bit busy you can even have the timeout with a box of ±200mb i think.

I made my suggestion so you'd have multiple smaller mailboxes instead of timeouts. If it's not required, then of course don't do it.

We've got multiple G of mail in our mailboxes as well, but only locally. I believe that it's trying to move all that data across the 'net each time that's causing the timeouts.

Jeff

Back