To Necropost or not to

Too much is or can be changed then in most cases.
D`accord. Yes, absolutely right. Good answers never grow old. And if wrong - its at least a starting point for further investigations. You are right, and i find it still good :)

It's just an unwritten rule in general on forums, that its not done to up ancient posts and with good reason mostly. Better is (also due the advancing systems) is to create a new post and reference to the old question.

In this case it's an answer. But if you like it, I can provider answers to douzens of ancient posts which are not answered yet. If lots of people would start doing that, I wonder if you would still find it that good.

For me it would mean I would leave the forum and stop helping, because it's too much work to read to every ancient old post which suddenly becomes an answer which is certainly not asked for at that time.

For people who help a lot it get's confusing and irritating imho, its just common forum use to not do this.

But ofcourse everybody is entitled to their own opinion, as are you. ;)

I will hinder the next candidate to do necroposting, promised :) So far i notice it in the battle, that it was indeed a necro one.

No problem. Just to be clear... I do appreciate the effort to help. Sometimes people get here via Google and are enthousiastic and forget to look at dates. ;)

I don't like to leave a post without responding to technical details.
As said, I appreciate the effort/answer, but it's just not done on forums. There are douzens of posts out there without a response and then it's better to wait until somebody asks again and give the modern answer.

Anyway, there is an answer now so people can find it if necessary. ;)

@Richard G somepeople are into necro.... uuhhmm hahahaha
But indeed posting into a 1000 year old thread is unnecessary, maybe an idea for the forum to put a warning on old threads like:

» There hasn't been a post in this topic for ... days. Think about whether it makes sense to kick this topic up. Click here to respond anyway.

» There hasn't been a post in this topic for ... days. Think about whether it makes sense to kick this topic up. Click here to respond anyway.
I've seen that on some forums indeed, don't know if that is something which is related to the forum itself or an addon.
However, if people still think they need a solution on a post which might not need or maybe has a total other solution nowadays, they still will post.

But some others just want to try to be of help, come via Google or something and didn't realize the old date. So such automatic warning would be a good thing anyway.
And then set it at a certain time. I don't mind if it's 2 or 3 years if it's still a current thing and a good addition which is posted or question.
For questions it's mostly better to create new, because in spite of how it looks, it's mostly a different cause, so better to create a new post anyway. Or else if a post is 4, 5 years old or older, create a new one and then refer to the older post that it might be similar, so others know they seen the solution in there.

It's also better to find own posts with solutions, not disturb the old posters if they still have the mail warning, and get new solutions to changes made in the years past.
I'm into forums like over 20 years now, also as admin, it works better. And for search engines too.

What about Necro Visiting... Since I haven't posted(visited) in forever I thought this look good...to post on..

I am in favor of Richard G scolding anyone about anything at anytime.. It is all because someone has to.. Since I don't visit as much..

I hope you all are well...

Back