Tomcat with DA

scottking said:
prophecy, perhaps you can walk me through the install sometime... it would be very useful for us to know how you installed it for future clients.

I'll start the official "how to setup tomcat" thread after this is done because you can't fully set it up right now (well you can if you never use DA again). ;)

Just to let you guys know, apache config snippets are complete and should be available later today. That should make Tomcat a go. You can customize the Virtual Hosts however you want on a per-domain basis.

The option will be in the "Admin Settings" link.

We won't be releasing it through the auto-updater yet, so when you see v. 1.18 on our main site, go to your Admin panel, Licensing, and manually update DirectAdmin.

Thanks,

Mark

is the how to for tomcat coming any time soon please i beg some one to do a walk thru I have many requests for it.

I could probably get something written up on how to do this, just been a while. the hardest part is getting mod_jk going.

Updates?

Any word on this? We have a customer who would really like Tomcat on their dedicated.

Thank you,
Erica

Hello,

You can have Tomcat right now. You'll have to install it yourself, and just use the "custom httpd.conf" feature to set it up on a per-site basis. I'm not sure if/when we'll include it, as if we did, it would be on all servers, and I've heard its quite a hog; not what most people want.. but the tools are already in place to add it yourself.

John

if you need the java server you can afford the resources if you ask me :p .... you could always have the option to turn tomcat off aswell.... then if you want a resource hog running for your customers you can :)

Chris

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

You can have Tomcat right now. You'll have to install it yourself, and just use the "custom httpd.conf" feature to set it up on a per-site basis. I'm not sure if/when we'll include it, as if we did, it would be on all servers, and I've heard its quite a hog; not what most people want.. but the tools are already in place to add it yourself.

John

What would be best is if you could give us a simple script to run to install Tomcat support... something like wget http://www.directadmin.com/installtomcat.sh; ./installtomcat.sh.

The script could then add an checkbox in DA to install Tomcat support per-site, so you would just edit the site and check the checkbox to install Tomcat for that site.

Just my two cents. :)

-Erica

What would be even neater than Tomcat would be a DA add-on system. Once we have that, we can release things like this Tomcat add-on without John having to set them up :).

That just seems inappropriate and far to cPanel like for more liking, I agree with simple intergartion on / off for domains, modules - no no no!

Chris

Forgot to add this...

I feel Tomcat should default to OFF and should be enabled on a per-site basis, not as an all-or-nothing script. A checkbox in the DA UI (that could be enabled for a single site or as part of a package) would be best.

This would be an awesome addition to DA. In addition, I would envision a similar system for PostgreSQL (but IMHO, Tomcat is more important... we have far more people using Tomcat on our servers than we do PostgreSQL, and my guess is that this holds true for the majority of hosting companies.)

Thanks!

Yeah, definitely needs to be on a per site basis. And if no sites use it, it should not be running at all, but that shouldn't be hard to do.

Back