Trouble Adding Site

CCSI

Verified User
Hey guys…

I added a site today as a second domain for one of my customers. They have since then told me that they would like the new domain to be by itself… not under the original domain.

I removed the domain from the being under the original domain account.

Tried to add it brand new, but get this message:

Error Creating User hcdsc

Details

User Already Exists

I look in the list of users and it is not one of them.

I tryed changing the user name to something off the wall that is not being used and I get the same error. I rebooted the server and still am having the same trouble.

Thanks for your help.

David

I'm having the exact same problem. Trying to create a new user for signup, and no matter what I put - User Already Exists...it doesn't!

Help!

John

Proftpd appears to be locking the group file for me.

I tried useradd on the command line, and got the error "Error locking group file"

Ran this command: fuser -v /etc/group

Shows that proftpd has a lock on the group file...

not sure why....

ProWebUK said:
You may want to refer to the following regarding manual deletion, although its its a regular occurance like this then it certainly needs to be looked into in more detail.

Chris - refer to want? /me thinks you forgot a link...

:D

John

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!!

I went to the thread where Chris pointed us all to.

I tried the easy way that John from DA said to try first:

useradd username (in my case hcdsc)

I got this error: Segmentation Fault

So, I decided to go the long way that was listed next...

I looked in every directory mentioned for hcdsc.... nothing
I looked in every file mentioned for hcdsc.... nothing.

I still can't add the account, and again, the actual domain is going to be hcdsc.org.

The DA error shows: Error Creating User hcdsc ... not hcdsc.org, so I tried an off the wall name... i think i used mytest, and it still gave the same error. I believe that it has nothing to do with the user, but rather the actuall domain name.

Any more help is greatly appreciated. This client is starting to breath heavily!!!!!

Thanks again,

David

More Info:

If you will recall, I orig. created this account as a second domain to an account that had already been created, and then removed it so that it could be it's own entity.

I can't add it by itself..... BUT... I have gone back to that orig domain name and tried to add it again as a second domain under the orig. IT WORKS.

I do not want it that way, but it does help with the immediate problem that they can't see their website.

I still need a fix if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

David

Check the DNS zone for the server - I had one stuck in there until it was manually deleted.... drove me nuts for a couple hrs :(

Delete it, all will be better.

I still need help creating sites. I started this thread the other day about trying to add a site, and it told me that the user already existed. It was originally added as a second domain to an existing account. I removed it, and was going to create it’s very own account (primary). That is when I got the message that I couldn’t. For time sake, I went back and added it back as a secondary to the original primary account.

We are a smaller hosting service, so we don’t add domains everyday, or even every week.

Anyway… Today is the first time that I have tried to add a new domain since then, and these domains have never been on our system in the past… I get the same error.

Guys, I really need help as soon as you can provide it. The sites I am adding have already been transferred to us, so as soon as it propagates I am sure I will be in hot water!!!!!

Thanks…

If you have not already done so already, send an email to support ([email protected]) If you want me to I will check for any instances of the user..... Although I would advise you to wait on Mark or John since im not entirely sure whats created upon a second domain.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Thanks for the offer to ssh in, but I don't believe that it would help, because like I mentioned, these sites have never been on my server so there should not be anything relating to them... I would agree that it may have been the problem with the first one (the one where I added it and then removed it to add it as its own primary domain...)

Just as a side note, I did email support on this issue originally, but have not heard anything back from them... John DID post a fix here, so that may have been why he did not respond to me personally (and John if you are reading this.. that is NOT a complaint) I tried John's suggestion, but it didn't fix it.

Before I posted my last cry for help, I did email support again, but sometimes ya'll have quick fixes, so I thought I would try here too.

You said useradd is segfaulting, so my suggestion probably won't help. For me, I stopped proftpd, and was able to add users again. Then John (with DA support) deleted my group lock file and all is well.

John

Didn't realise it was a "first time" domain.... was it once a secondary domain now a primary domain or is it a completely fresh, never seen on that server previously account?

Chris

New account, never used before on the server. Sorry for my missguiding posts!!!!!!

Chris, I did as you said, and contacted John. He is AWSOME!

This is the fix provided by John.... incase anyone has something simular to this in the future.

cd
wget http://files.directadmin.com/services/9.0/shadow-utils-4.0.3-6.i386.rpm
rpm -Fvh shadow-utils-4.0.3-6.i386.rpm

#or if that doesn't work:
rpm -ivh --force shadow-utils-4.0.3-6.i386.rpm

(the last one worked for me)

Thanks Chris and John!!!!

David (CCSI)

Back