Troubleshooting why a backup did not run

roarkh

Verified User
Hi everyone,

I have my DirectAdmin server set up to run an Admin level backup of all my users at 8:30 every night. It has worked flawless for about two years until last night when the backups simply did not run at all. I have csf/lfd installed which warns me about a "suspicious process" every time my backups run, I noticed last night I did not get that email so I logged in to verify that indeed the backups were not running. At that point I initiated a manual backup using the DirectAdmin admin level control panel and that worked just fine.

I thought it might have something to do with cron but a look at the cron log in var/logs shows this which leads me to believe that the backup command was triggered...

Code:
Feb  6 20:30:01 <my_server_name_was_here> CROND[11063]: (diradmin) CMD (echo "action=backup&id=5&owner=admin" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue.da; /bin/chmod 600 /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue.da)

I also found this in the directadmin system log from the night before, but for last night this entry is missing...

Code:
2014:02:05-20:31:01: Running Backup: type=reseller owner=admin id=4

Since I was able to manually run the backup this is not the end of the world and I guess I will just wait to see what happens tonight but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might have happened or what log to look at for more potential information as to why the backup did not run?

Last edited:
Hello,

You might want to check the following log files:

/var/log/directadmin/error.log
/var/log/directadmin/errortaskq.log

as they might contain usefull information regarding your issue.

I took another look at those log files, one is empty, the other only has a few entries that seem totally unrelated. Last night's backups ran normally again so I guess I will just watch it closely and see how it goes.

Thanks for your response.

Back