Try to install CentOS 6.2 32-bit server failed with libxml2.so.2 problem?

SajtXL

Verified User
New fresh CentOS 32b, 6.2 on a VPS running with OpenVZ Virtualization

yum install wget gcc gcc-c++ flex bison make bind bind-libs bind-utils openssl openssl-devel perl quota libaio libcom_err-devel libcurl-dev gd db4-devel cyrus-sasl-devel

install DA

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build zlib
./build all y

Running YUM UPGRADE

ldconfig

Sign on to DA.
Add my domain
Try to remove (wrong) NS entry.

This are the error:....

Unable to save dns zone: named-zonecheck returned:
/usr/sbin/named-checkzone: /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libisc.so.62)

locate libxml2.so.2 give this info:
[root@vps2 /]# locate libxml2.so.2
/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2
/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.6
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxml2-2.7.8/.libs/libxml2.so.2
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxml2-2.7.8/.libs/libxml2.so.2.7.8
/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2
/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8

I have try to remove libxml2.so.2.7.8 and create sym link, but no luck?

Some ideas ?

Thank you

I'm not sure what CentOS32b means. What does that last letter b stand for?

No luck meaning you can't remove/replace it? Or no luck meaning it didn't help?

What command did you use to remove libxml2.so.2.7.8 and create the symlink?

My understanding is that you should remove /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2 and then create a link from it to /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8, but first you should make a backup.:

libxml2.so.2 -> libxml2.so.2.7.8

I'm also not sure from the error message that the problem is with libxml2.so.2.7.8; I'd hope so, from the error message, but make sure that /usr/lib/libisc.so.62 exists. (the isc in the name of that library refers to Internet Systems Consortium, the maintainers of BIND.

And I could be missing something else entirely.

Jeff

libxml2.so.2.7.8

I'm not sure what CentOS32b means. What does that last letter b stand for?
Sorry, typing error, I mean CentOS6 32bit OS
No luck meaning you can't remove/replace it? Or no luck meaning it didn't help?
it didn't help
What command did you use to remove libxml2.so.2.7.8 and create the symlink?
I remove by WinSCP and create a symlink
My understanding is that you should remove /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2 and then create a link from it to /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2.7.8, but first you should make a backup.:
Thank you, I have try that.
libxml2.so.2 -> libxml2.so.2.7.8

I'm also not sure from the error message that the problem is with libxml2.so.2.7.8; I'd hope so, from the error message, but make sure that /usr/lib/libisc.so.62 exists. (the isc in the name of that library refers to Internet Systems Consortium, the maintainers of BIND.
Yes, it exist
And I could be missing something else entirely.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, I have done all that stuff, and reinstall DA with the code from file with date 02-Mar-2012 04:33, but still the same problem :(
This i a new server, but if I don't can have good instruction for install 6.xx, I have to change to OS 5.xx instead.

Last edited:
What do you get with:

rpm -aq | grep -i bind

What do you get with:

rpm -aq | grep -i bind

[root@vps2 ~]# rpm -aq | grep -i bind
bind-libs-9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2.i686
bind-9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2.i686
rpcbind-0.2.0-8.el6.i686
bind-utils-9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2.i686
samba-winbind-clients-3.5.10-114.el6.i686
[root@vps2 ~]#

I've edited your reply to me to use the quote system to make it understandable at first glance. I've renamed the thread to make it more clear.

Why do you have samba-winbind-clients installed on a CentOS server? I hope you're not using samba across the 'net to connect to a Microsoft SMB network; it's very insecure. Removing that rpm may possibly solve the problem.

Our 32-bit CentOS 6 installs have:
Code:
[root@server ~]# rpm -qa | grep bind
rpcbind-0.2.0-8.el6.i686
[root@server ~]#
Jeff

I've edited your reply to me to use the quote system to make it understandable at first glance. I've renamed the thread to make it more clear.

Why do you have samba-winbind-clients installed on a CentOS server? I hope you're not using samba across the 'net to connect to a Microsoft SMB network; it's very insecure. Removing that rpm may possibly solve the problem.

Our 32-bit CentOS 6 installs have:
Code:
[root@server ~]# rpm -qa | grep bind
rpcbind-0.2.0-8.el6.i686
[root@server ~]#
Jeff

Thank you for your assistance.

Samba was installed by default. I can remove it if you thought it can help.

I don't know if it's going to resolve the problem. If your server has all of samba installed, then you should consider that:

(a) samba over the years does not have a great security record, especially in default setup

(b) every piece of software on your server is a possible vector for attack, and a shared webhosting server shouldn't have any extra software it doesn't really need

(c) whomever installed your server may have installed many other packages as well which contribute to insecurity.

Generally when we find samba installed on a webhosting server we find that the server was installed using all the CentOS server packages, most of which shouldn't be installed on an Internet-facing shared webhosting server.

Certainly removing the package shouldn't hurt, but I only guarantee my work; not suggestions I recommend on these forums. If you'd like I can certainly resolve your server issues with you CentOS 6.2 36-bit server installation as a commercial service; please feel free to call or write me at the information below (PMs generally do not get answered as quickly as do emails).

Jeff

Do the symbolic links of:

/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2
/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2

point to the same place or somewhere different? You might want to try removing one or the other and see if it clears up your problem.

Hi all.

Problem solved with a new fresh install of DA (with out Samba), from 05-Mar-2012. I can see that option:
#new version of zlib and libxml2 (experts only)
new_zlib=no

added to custombuild, thank you for that. :)

Back