update on the dieing sshd problem

Chrysalis

Verified User
We got a box on bsd 6 now with DA installed and soon after sshd died, my initial reaction was ok I need to recompile it since we was using the ports version of sshd and the libs have been version bumped.

We started the base sshd in the meantime and expected all to be well again, some time later the sshd dies again (like when kill is issued no timeout etc.) and I get suspicous.

I examined the DA sshd rc.d script and it seems when it restarts sshd it issues a kill to all sshd processes instead of just the listening daemon, this on its own is a big mistake and could explain some problems people have been having. I also would guess DA is thinking it needs to restart sshd for whatever reason and this is been triggered every so often, but defenitly not every minute (which happens when installing 4.x licence on 5.x). After I recompile the openssh port if that becomes stable I will see on modifying the sshd script for DA and submit a changed version to john so it no longer issues killall which will at least stop it affecting active sessions.

Back