Upgradation of server from 6.1 to 6.3

SMDA

Hi,

As we are trying to upgrade our freebsd server from 6.1 to 6.3 . Could anyone let us know whether this will going effect on any package installed by DirectAdmin. Has anyone tried the upgradation to 6.3 using freebsd-update ?
We would be very much thankful if anyone lighted us about some measure steps to be done for this upgradation.

Thanks in Advance.

SMDA..

scsi

Verified User
It will not affect anything with directadmin. I use cvsup to update I dont know what freebsd-update is.

elvandar

Verified User
From what I know the 6.x series is binary compatible with eachother. If you read /usr/src/UPDATING you might find information about whether things will break or not. I -think- that nothing will break.

FreeBSD-update (``freebsd-udate'' on the commandline) is a very handy tool to do binary upgrades between freebsd-releases. I used it extensively at one of my assignments, and it worked fine. See www.evilcoder.org for a description on how to upgrade to 7.1, the same thing goes for 6.1->6.3, or at least the procedure is the same. I cannot entirely say that 6.1->6.3 is supported, but if the tool fetches the proper files.. go for it.

Cheers
remko