use php mail function to send email is now sent by user@server-hostname

I'm hoping this may solve the problem some users report with email generated on the server going to hotmail/gmail/yahoo/etc spamboxes.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

tested it.....but that does not work. Only when you already have added the emailaddress to the secure list. Hotmail sees everything as possible spam even when I send a mail through my Outlook program.

Do not know if Gmail has the same policy, but what I do know now is that the sender is a nice normal emailaddress without the "On behalf of" and hostname of the server.

Regards,

Dennis

I don't see how hotmail could tell if you'd added the asterisk vs adding the individual email address, as exim will send the email with the same headers either way.

Jeff

I think Hotmail got a security setting with something like: "Always see new mail senders as spam" :)

Because I also got mail from other businesses in my Hotmail which are in the spambox...

With sending through my Outlook I meant that I send through my providers smtp server (sorry should have told that). So it's not going through my own exim server. And still it ends up in the spambox.

Regards,

Dennis

Hi, I'm bringing this thread back to life. What happened with this?
I have a client with a reseller account who doesn't want the emails that his clients send from their websites to go out with my hostname.
How should I set this up?
I tried doing this but it didn't work.
I'm running PHP with suPHP.
Thanks

The problem with bringing an ancient thread back to life is that none of us have any recollection of the thread; we have to start reading again with the first post to see just what it is to which you refer.

Are you in fact writing about the sender being [email protected], or are writing about the hostname defined in the various From fields in the header? Either way, fixes have been discussed several times on these forums.

If the former, then how are your users sending email? Are they using direct injection (what some call the sendmail interface), or are they using authenticated login? Have they properly coded the php they're using to send the mail?

Jeff

The problem with bringing an ancient thread back to life is that none of us have any recollection of the thread; we have to start reading again with the first post to see just what it is to which you refer.

Sorry for this! I've been doing some other tests, so let me explain what I need.

I'm running PHP with suPHP. Currently if I send an email using PHP's mail() function, the default From address and the return-path are user@myhostname. So, when I call the function with the mininum parameters like this:

PHP:
mail('[email protected]', 'Test', 'Testing');

both the "From" and "Return-path" headers are set to user@myhostname. The thing is that "myhostname", includes my Web Hosting company's domain name.

This hasn't been a problem so far, but now I have a reseller client who wishes to implement private branding and is complaining about this, because when his own clients in their websites use PHP's mail() function, emails are sent with my company's domain name.

So what I would like to be able to do is to have all my client's users to have as the default "From"/"Return-path", something like [email protected].

Is this possible? If it is, how?

Thanks!

I'm not a PHP programmer so I don't know the details of the command; perhaps someone who is will reply as well. I do know it's been discussed on these forums before.

But what I do see is that your command, as shown in your prior post doesn't tell PHP who the sender is. So unless PHP is getting that somewhere else, it wouldn't know to tell exim anything. I'm not going to discuss PHP commands and interfaces here; first because I'm not a php programmer so I'd feel I was missing something, and second because this is a SpamBlocker subforum, and this isn't really a SpamBlocker issue; it's an exim/php issue. Perhaps if you posted it under a PHP subforum someone would see it and reply. Once you've posted it there, let me know here, and I'll delete the posts in this subforum.

Thanks.

Jeff

Back