Use same smtp/imap/pop address across servers

ditto

Verified User
Currently we have several shared hosting servers setup with DirectAdmin multiserver. All our shared hosting customers use server.hostname.tld as smtp/imap/pop mail address. That works good, exept when we are migrating/replacing servers, then the both the hostname and IP is changing, and we must instruct all customers on the replaced server to use the new server hostname as smtp/imap/pop address in their mail clients.

Is there any good/simple way to be able to have ONE smtp/imap/pop address across all our servers that our clients can use for smtp/imap/pop address in their mail clients? That way this address never changes when we change servers? Or is the only way to achieve that to have a separate dedicated server just for mail? That smtp/imap/pop address for mail would look like this: mail.companydomain.tld

I was looking at this thread https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=57330 - however I don't think it will work, because the address mail.companydomain.tld would need to be valid for mail clients accross several servers, not only on one server.

Thank you. However after reading the guide, it is not clear to me if customers email will still be stored on each different dedicated box, or if it is needed with a dedicated mail server box. Also the guide is using many Alpha and Beta features, and I must be honest, the guide seems not easy but very complex for me after reading it.

Just to be clear: All I want is my cusomters wich is hosted on several differerent DirectAdmin boxes, to be able to connect to one single address (mail.mycompany.tld) when using their mail client to send and receive mail - however I still want all the mail to be stored like before on each different DirectAdmin box where each customer is hosted, I do not want a dedicated mail server, only a dedicated mail server address (wich do not change when I replace servers).

Likely this is not a easy task. Merry Christmas to you also!

Emails would still be stored on your end-server :) The server you'd be setting up proxy on would just forward the request to a correct server.

Back