using ipv6 as a replacement of ipv4 as dedicated IP for user domains

SoCal

Verified User
I like to know if following setup is possible:

Directadmin server with a static ipv4 address and like 10 ipv6 for 10 individual domains as their fixed IPs, and the server IP not shared for the domains?
I tried enabling IPv6 in directadmin.conf file and then added ipv6 in IP management and then made them available to reseller and set them for individual domains, but the domains dont seem to resolve? The /var/named/domains.db file shows AAAA records but the domains dont resolve.

Is it even possible or not to make a domain exclusively using only ipv6 ? or ir still needs to have a shared ipv4 address essentially? If using ipv6 exclusively is possible then what am i missing, I have tried it for last two days but ipv6 set on domains dont seem to resolve.

I have read almost all pages which have ipv6 queries in the forum, but concept not clear, Somebody with practical experience, Please put some light on this.
TIA, Rgds.

Only visitors with their own IPv6 address and full IPv6 connectivity can resolve an IPv6 only domain, and to connect to it.

Which is why hosters will continue to need IPv4 addresses until there are no more visitors with IPv4 connectivy looking for websites.

This is not a DirectAdmin limitation, but rather just way Internet Protocol works.

I suppose you could advertise a single IPv4 address for every domain on your machine, then use host-headers and some kind of proxy system on your server so that every site would be resolved internally on the server at an IPv6 address, but this wold fail totally as far as SSL is concerned, unless you bought one multi-domain Certificate and get it reissued every time you needed to add another domain. So no advantage over just a single IPv4 server.

Jeff

Is it even possible or not to make a domain exclusively using only ipv6 ?

I guess no, at least not with the default templates, as all of them: apache, named, ftp have IPv6 as an addition, so you still require IPv4 assigned for a domain.

To expand on the comment from Jeff and Alex, it should work, assuming all client networks support IPv6... but that's rarely the case.
For example, many in North America still do not.

For example, my home ISP, I can do a lookup to retrieve an AAAA record.. however, that lookup is done over an IPv4 IP.
As well, I cannot connect to that IPv6, the network can't use it.

If you want to ignore the IPv4-only crowd, and only cater to the IPv6 crowd, then you should already be set... but most won't go that route.

Because North America holds most of the IPv4 IPs, they're in less of a rush to support IPv6..
While elsewhere in the world, the IPv4's have long since run out.. hence the push for them.
The world will get there eventually, but we're still stuck halfway.

John

Back