vBulletin Thread Marking Change request

R1Lover

Verified User
I am requesting that whoever runs this forum change the thread marking option to the database option. This doesn't cause any effects on performance and greatly improved the operation of the forum.

What does this do you may ask?

It will keep track of all threads a member has read, when a member clicks on new post then he or she will only see "New Post" or "New Threads" If that member has already read the thread and there are no NEW POST then it will not be displayed when they click NEW POSTS.

The way it's set now when you click on NEW POSTS you are actually seeing TODAYS POSTS which is misleading.

This will allow people to browse the forums in a "normal manner" as this is the default for 80% of vBulletin sites.

I'm not sure if anyone will see this but it should be addresses.

Thank you for your time.

The way it's set now when you click on NEW POSTS you are actually seeing TODAYS POSTS which is misleading.

Actually you are seeing new posts since you last logged in. If you don't log in for three days then you see three days worth of posts. If you log in every 4 hours then you only see the last 4 hours of new posts.

But I think I know what you mean. After you read a post you don't want it to show up when you click New Posts again in that same login session unless there is actually a new post in that thread. I can see how that would be helpful if you only log in every few days and you have several pages of new posts.

R1lover,

There is certainly a difference between today's posts and new posts as I can tell easily enough by checking logged in and not logged in.

Has Floyd explained it properly? If so, then please let me know where to make the change and I'll do it.

If Floyd hasn't explained it properly then please try to explain it in more detail.

Thanks.

Jeff

It was a mis type on my part... there is a difference between new post now and todays post. but changing to the database marking feature is 100% better for the users, you yourself will love it since you are hear so much...

when you click new post you will only see threads that have been replied to since you last read them.... so you see all NEW POST for real rather then the last four hours. I promise you will love it.

Here is how

Admin panel > Vbulletin Options > General Settings > Thread/Forum Read Marking Type > change option to > Database (automatic forum marking)

Thank you for listening.... :)

Actually you are seeing new posts since you last logged in. If you don't log in for three days then you see three days worth of posts. If you log in every 4 hours then you only see the last 4 hours of new posts.

But I think I know what you mean. After you read a post you don't want it to show up when you click New Posts again in that same login session unless there is actually a new post in that thread. I can see how that would be helpful if you only log in every few days and you have several pages of new posts.

yes I know, but I was keeping it simple. ;)

when you click new post you will only see threads that have been replied to since you last read them.... so you see all NEW POST for real rather then the last four hours.

That is what I see now. Read my post above. When I log in and click New Posts I see all the new posts since I last logged in whether that is 3 hours or 3 days or longer.

More clarification required. When I click on New Posts when I first log in, I see all new posts since I last logged in. When I click on New Posts again later during the same session I see the entire first set, but in bold only the truly new ones.

R1Lover, please clarify... what will I see the second time I click on New Posts during the same login session.

Thanks.

Jeff

More clarification required. When I click on New Posts when I first log in, I see all new posts since I last logged in. When I click on New Posts again later during the same session I see the entire first set, but in bold only the truly new ones.

R1Lover, please clarify... what will I see the second time I click on New Posts during the same login session.

Thanks.

Jeff

when clicking new post you will only see the threads that have a new unread post in them.... if you have already read each post in a thread they will not show up until someone else replies to a thread, then in which case it is a new post again...

Example

I post a thread asking you a question...

you click new post and you will see this thread.

you read it and reply....

you click new post again you will not see this thread.

I or someone else replies to this same thread and then you click new post again... you will then see it show up again as there will be a NEW POST.

it this a little clearer?

I have all my and my customers sites setup this way, it's pretty much the standard.

you can try it out and if you don't like it all you have to do is switch it back.

Sounds good to me. Any comments from anyone else as to whether it sounds good to them?

I'm also asking John from DirectAdmin if it's okay with him; it's JBMC's forum; not mine.

Jeff

Example

I post a thread asking you a question...

you click new post and you will see this thread.

you read it and reply....

you click new post again you will not see this thread.

I or someone else replies to this same thread and then you click new post again... you will then see it show up again as there will be a NEW POST.

That is exactly what I said in post #2.

I normally only have 1 page of new posts to look at.

Thanks John, I think the members will like this much better.

It's nice to see people who listen to the members too, props to you guys for that.

Back