Webmail not working

Geffy

Verified User
I have recently updated to apache 2 on a server which is also running php 4.4.0 and now neither /webmail nor /squirrelmail work at all

Squirrelmail says
ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.

UebiMiau says
System message: Error connecting to the server

strangely connecting to the IMAP server or the POP3 server using a mail client works fine and the ports arent firewalled either, so its not a case of the localhost not being able to connect to the server, I can also connect to both the pop3 and imap servers using telnet on localhost

any ideas how I can get this working again, the chickens are getting restless....

Try editing the configurations for both webmail applications to use something else (at least temporarily). For example, try 127.0.0.1, your hostname, IP address etc.

I have told it to use the external ip address, localhost, 127.0.0.1 and a hostname which resolves to the server properly and it still doesnt work.

btw things which connect externally like client email clients and mail2web works as well, so I am quite confused as to why this isnt working properly.

I have noticed that the squirrelmail config file does something to domains which only traps the last two parts which for a co.uk domain name traps only the co.uk part which I probably certifiably useless :p, however I have left it in

Quick question Geffy,
Are you trying to access these through a secured connection (https)?

@squirrelhost: yes I have built the zend optimiser

@hostpc.com: so why would this also be affecting the UebiMaiu system as well, does that not use Pop3?

@jmstacey: No, just plain HTTP

Well I have got it working again finally

it all seems to have been due to a bug in PHP4 which causes the use of fopen on URLs to fail.

finally found this article which suggests a solution.

Using the provided build script I was not able to integrate this fix into the process. I had to extract the php tarball, then run the ./configure command. At this point I had to modify the CFLAGS_CLEAN macro in the Makefile.
Modified to
CFLAGS_CLEAN = -g -O2 -DFD_SETSIZE=4096

Once this was done, I was able to run the make and make install commands to install php.

I was unable to distinguish which part of the build script would be best to place something which would append the '-DFD_SETSIZE=4096' to the right line of the Makefile. Someone else might have a better idea though.

I hope this helps other people

Here's a nice Perl one-line to use in your customapache build script:

Code:
        echo "Increasing file descriptor limit in Makefile for PHP 4..."
        /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/^CFLAGS_CLEAN =/CFLAGS_CLEAN = -DFD_SETSIZE=4096/' ${CWD}/php-${PHP_VER}/Makefile

...just after
Code:
echo "Done Configuration.";
and before:
Code:
        while
        echo "Trying to make php..."
        do
        {

HTH,
Matt :)

Seth,

DirectAdmin works fine for just about everyone here.

If you're having a problem with DirectAdmin not working, please explain in detail so someone can help you.

Note that the webmail solutions are third party open-source solutions, and they were not written by JBMC staff.

Jeff

Back