What billing system are you using for your hosting business?

What billing system are you using for your hosting business?

• A Plus Bill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ClientExec

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Modernbill

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • PerlBill

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
I'd add WhoisCart to the poll - one of the few that supports automation for DA :)

Personally I'm not a fan, something to do with the licensing I think :S

I'm currently figuring out how to get PhpCoin talking to DirectAdmin - both have API's which look up to the job - just my skills lacking!

DramsPlus

DramsPlus is not on the list. I have just finished setting up DA with DramsPlus and it seems to be an excellent combination of features and ease of customizing. The support is also quite good and they have an extensive forum. Before I used Drams I tried to get Whois cart setup. I was not happy with the support and found the product was worth the money as in you get what you pay for which is not much. Saving a couple hundred dollars is of no use if you lose loads of customers or waste hours of time trying to do things that are easily done in Drams.

Re: DramsPlus

Blair said:
DramsPlus is not on the list
Nor is a custom programmed option. We rolled our own PHP billing system. This is easy when you have DA's wonderful API to work with ;)

Phi1.

DirectAdmin Rocks!

Does anyone have any input on how to integrate the two login screens needed for the billing software and the DA login? I am a bit unsure on how this can be done or how others may have done it? Any links of examples would be helpful.

regards

Blair,

I can't speak for anyone else, but we do not integrate both logins. Our billing logins are completely separate from the DA panel.

Granted this method we can associated as many control panel logins per billing login as we like :)

we use WhoisCart and DRAMS+

We made a deliberate choice between ModernBill and DRAMS :)

John,

Can you tell us some of your decision criteria?

Thanks.

Jeff

There is also servernetix or something like that. It is very advanced, but not too hard to use. Akthough it is not very good looking.

Hi Jeff et al,

Search criteria......sure :)

First, I have been using Whois.Cart for quite a while and really like it. In fact, I will continue to use it on a smaller site that does not require the added features we needed.

For our environment, we were really wanting an add-on item or the ability to do one time fees for certain services. As an example, we have quite a bit of "logo" work to do and it was getting hard to keep track of a billing system for web site clients and 'all others'. We also wanted the ability to keep the interface as simple as possible. The most important aspect of our criteria was cost.

I will hand it to ModernBill (MB) because they were the top runner and we had to choose between MB and DRAMS. In the end, I wished for ala carte (ohh, i wish i had that!), bandwidth billing (though we don't think that is an issue at the moment), or Free domains but we had to give way to the almighty dollar. For 10dollars less per month, we lease the license from DRAMS. So, in the end, it really boiled down to price over features (with exception of the template system).

I would add that we did quite a bit of reading on the MB, WhoisCart, DRAMS, and DA forum before choosing. We demo'd the MB and DRAMS client for about a week before choosing. We concurred that MB is a "heavy" application. It has much more than we need and the interface for the user is pretty intense. We have simple users so we needed a simple interface (a plus for whoisCart). DRAMS is not super simple but it was our opinion that it was easier to navigate than MB. We also found that DRAMS had enough flexibility to change the layout to blend into our site better. For what it is worth, we have a license for ClientExec but after an hour with it, I was ready to throw my computer from the roof. Not only was it too hard to navigate or accomplish simple configuration (packages and the sort), it was too stinkin slow for the short fuse attached to my patience factor. We experienced in our demo sessions that MB was a bit slow in doing things also...and we read that most people blame the application, not the network for that performance. As for the interface, honestly I was a bit intimidated by the MB admin interface. I am sure it gets easier as you get used to the application but my first impression was "holy dog poop!". My colleague said, no way! He was a bit intimidated too.

Do I have any negatives about DRAMS? Sure...but they are working hard to make improvements, just as any client is with their respective billing software company. I would say that I liked that they provided an entire website template solution. Although we had worked for a few weeks developing our web site and thought we would have to scrap it to integrate DRAMS, we found it easier to integrate our site concept around DRAMS (with a few mods to our design). In any case, we are pretty happy with the new layout and the site seems to be flowing ok now...
If I had any one gripe with DRAMS is their templates. After working with a simple WhoisCart template system, DRAMS was initially a nightmare. IMO, the template system is very confusing but once I got it all figured out and traced (documented), we were able to make changes a lot more quickly. Also, plugging in our own mySQL queries has been easy enough.

I am sure I have left a few pertinent details out and I spared you the detailed, in length discussions we had with cost analysis for 3,6,9,12,24 month operations :)

ohhh, i will add that we did decide to lease for a few months before purchasing "just in case" we decide it is not going to work for us...in which we would most likely choose MB or just wait for the future release of WhoisCart Silverstar

jechilt said:
Search criteria......sure :)
Thanks!
For our environment, we were really wanting an add-on item or the ability to do one time fees for certain services. As an example, we have quite a bit of "logo" work to do and it was getting hard to keep track of a billing system for web site clients and 'all others'.
It's my understanding that Whois.Cart doesn't offer a-la-carte (one time per item) billing, but that DRAMS and ModernBill both do.

Am I correct in that?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you may be able to provide.

I'd like to be able to consider DRAMS but they don't support our Payment Processor, BluePay.

Perhaps if they will (it's not hard, both ModernBill and Whois.Cart added BluePay quite quickly after it was pointed out to them) we could consider it.

Again thanks.

Jeff

Back