What happened to mod_rewrite in Centos8?

squid44th

Verified User
I just created a brand new server (droplet) on digitalocean.com with Centos 8. Installed a fresh copy of directadmin and went to install a small CMS program needing mod_rewrite. After searching the google on how to install it, I found out that it was supposed to be installed with Apache which was install along with directadmin. After multiple trials trying to install per google, i have failed. I tried the sequence i found in the directadmin docs, the centos docs, and various others and NOTHING has worked yet. any suggestions other than starting over from scratch?

What exactly is not working which should be working? Because you don't need to install mod_rewrite. It's always enabled in Apache by default as you also already found out.

Don't try to install things externally which should already exists, because that can mess up installations, depending on what it is, but it's normally not a good decision to try that.

Have you issued the command to check if mod_rewrite is active?
Give this command as root via SSH:
httpd -l | grep mod_rewrite

If you get mod_rewrite.c as answer, then it is active, which it should. Unless your attempts messed up things. Hope not.

If you get the mod_rewrite.c as answer, then you have to search the issue in the CMS, not in apache.
Hence my question what you are trying to accomplish exactly with mod_rewrite.

For example, if you are trying something via .htaccess and you're using php-fpm, it might be you need the htscanner installed to recognise certain .htaccess entry's.

Back