Where does LetsEncrypt get it's local nameserver info from?

desynergy

Verified User
Good afternoon everyone. I'm having an issue on a couple new servers that I havent had before. I have setup a couple new servers, configured everything as normal, but LetsEncrypt is not working. I am requesting a cert for a domain and I'm getting an error that my local name servers can not be resolved. I setup the nameservers through DirectAdmin as ns12.domain.com and ns13.domain.com and have checked to make sure resolv.conf is correct. But LetsEncrypt is using nameservers ns12.servername.domain.com and ns13.servername.domain.com. Where is LetsEncrypt getting the nameserver information from? I've checked all of the settings in DirectAdmin and everything is ns12.domain.com and ns13.domain.com.

Example of error with the domains changed for reasons:
2022/06/30 11:12:42 Could not obtain certificates:
error: one or more domains had a problem:
[*.domain.com] time limit exceeded: last error: dial udp: lookup ns12.servername.domain.com. on 8.8.8.8:53: no such host
[domain.com] time limit exceeded: last error: dial udp: lookup ns13.servername.domain.com. on 8.8.8.8:53: no such host
Certificate generation failed.

Last edited:
I've checked all of the settings in DirectAdmin and everything is ns12.domain.com and ns13.domain.com.
Yes that is good. But did you also designated ns12 and ns13.domain.com at your registrar of domain.com als being nameservers?

And check this thread, old but still a lot of good in there.

Back